moving my 30 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just moved my 29g from one side of the house to another 2 weeks ago. it's FW though. My setup was simple to begin with: no sumps or plumbing. Just wall hung stuff.

One thing is for sure: YOU NEED TO EMPTY OUT THE TANK. No 2 ways or shortcuts about it. Keep it real.

What I did was this: (it was in strict sequence!!)

1. siphoned water (skimming from the surface) into a 5G bucket. Then, I placed all my fish in there. I placed an airstone and a water heater. Then I covered the top of the bucket partially to prevent any harakiri jumping fish from executing suicide.

2. I took another 5G bucket which I conveniently have. I placed all my ornaments in there. Then used that as a "basket" to transfer the ornaments to a rinsed sink.

3. using the same second 5G bucket, I siphoned away the water, leaving only enough that covers the substrate in the fish tank.

4. guess what, I have another bucket that I placed the substrate in (including the small amount of water I left in the tank). Then emptied the tank totally.

5. Now that I emptied the tank, I disassembled all attachments (heater, filtration, air stones, what have you).

6. I removed the tank from the top of the stand.

7. I moved the stand to the new spot.

8. I ASSESSED THE NEW POSITION AESTHETICALLY!! ASKED FOR OPINION FROM MY FIANCEE. This is the most critical one. It's do or die.

9. Re-assemble the setup (stand, attachments and all)

10. Replaced the substrate and ornaments.

11. Poured 3/4 of my 5G bucket (the one with fish in) back to the tank. Keep the fish in the bucket!

12. Filled the tank with new water. Conditioned. Cichlid-salted or what have you. Made it run with filtration, air stones, powerheads etc for 20 minutes.

13. I then used a "trickle" tactic to slowly pour back water FROM THE TANK to the bucket. This is to re-acclimate the fish to the new water.

14. When the 5G bucket filled itself over time, I scooped the fish back to the tank and poured back water from the bucket to top off the tank. voila!

It's a long process but it was a success for me. No fish got stressed, there wasn't a mini-cycle that happened. Everybody is happy. But it took me 3 1/2 hours to do.

The lesson: If you don't want to do the above, keep it where it is. However, don't be misled by the "numbering" of the instructions above. IT WAS DARN EASY!! Good luck!

how far is it being moved ?? if it is just to another part of the house you can (so long as you do it carfully but quickley) just siphon the water into containers and leave about a quater of the total volume (enough for the fish to breath and swim) unplug all your equipment and move it to one side & move the stand (decide where you want it in advance) between 2 people you can lift it and then just quickley add your equipment & water.

I done this & left all the sand + LR in there (if you do it quick and the rock stays moist it will be fine), move the tank carfully & slowly as you can. i did this & my fish were fine and avoided loads of hassle.

just siphon the water into containers and leave about a quater of the total volume (enough for the fish to breath and swim) unplug all your equipment and move it to one side & move the stand (decide where you want it in advance) between 2 people you can lift it

I would seriously discourage moving the tank with anything in it. I have met people who tried to short cut it and ended up with cracked tank floors and fish-scented carpets. to discourage back injuries, carpet/home damages, and tank damages, empty it out.

I literally just moved my 29 gallon last night to a whole new house (moving sucks!)

I went to my Home Depot and bought (2) 25 gallon storage bins. It cost me less than 7.00 a piece. I used 3/4 inch tubing and just siphoned out the water into the two bins. I put my corals and live rock in one bucket, and just the extra water in the other. You can drag the buckets pretty easily around, but I just used a pump to pump all my water into my bathtub.

When you set up your new tank, make sure to not expose your live sand to the fresh water, you'll kill all your bacteria, and basically everything in your tank will die off. What I did was just mix the water in an empty 25 gal bin and just pump the saltwater into the tank. It's much easier (and less painful) than mixing each individual 5 gal. bucket and pouring it into your tank.

Good luck!! The whole thing is just to not cut corners when moving tanks. A little extra time will pay off.

I moved a 54 gal corner tank 30 miles. I put the fish in a coleman the water it several totes the sand in another coleman the live rock in each tote left some but not much sand in tank loaded it in the pick up tank stand and all the water fish brought it all home set it back up. The previous owner was not using a skimmer bouhgt one of them and have a great set up . take your time and watch for the minny cycle.

If you are moving the tank just to another room I moved a 55 gallon tank with some piano movers. Took out about a third of the water and rolled it slowly to another room with some people helping to steady it. I don`t know what kind of moving you are talking about. Good Luck

id take everything out to move it, better safe than sorry... im moving within the year and plan on doing the same

Back
Top Bottom