Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Moving my tank

So I'm moving back down south but the drive is like 4hrs, i intend to move my tank and set it up at my new place but just have a few concerns.

I'm gonna put all my live stock in a rubber-maid tub and run a power converter to a power head in there in the back of my truck...do you all think that will be enough?

I also plan to take most of my water with me since there is beneficial bacteria in there, should i also run a power with that?

The trip is not so long but i figure there will be no filtration for 5+ hours but no more than 7 while i set it all back up, will my sand bed have too much die off?
(I plan to leave about an inch or two of water in my tank so that the sand bed stay submerged)

Would love to hear from some of you who have done this as I have never moved a tank this far before, and I'm a bit nervous!

Live & Let Live!
SAAVE853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't think there is much, if any, beneficial bacteria in your water. Most grow on the surfaces.

As to the substrate I've heard that it may be better to change it out. You will be stirring up a mess and that could well cause a cycle. Do you have live rock? How much? Are you going to transport that the same way? If you were going to keep your water anyway I would transport your live rock completely submerged in your water.

Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55gal with about 60-65 lbs of live rock and i plan to transport the live rock in a rubber maid tub just like my live stock.
Live & Let Live!
SAAVE853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I agree with the substrate comment, since there are bags of live sand for sale. Don't bother reusing it. As far as the 'lack' of conditions for the duration of the trip, imagine what these species are going through when they travel state to state and further.
I would suggest having new premixed salt water ready to be added, once the tank is set up again. In fact, keeping majority of your water is beneficial since everything is already acclimated to it. There could be some water adjustments during the trip, but again consider what these go through while in distribution.

Good luck with your adventure.
foamythesquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Anything transported will need air. One for the fish tub and one for the rock. Lack of oxygen will kill both.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
well im not a SW kinda guy.. i have moved FW tanks several hundred miles with no problems.

the water for the most part doesn't contain anything beneficial enough to keep.. ive never kept any except enough to keep the fish in, the gravel wet and the filter media wet.

ive placed my fish into buckets with lids... and gravel and DW in rubermaid containers.

i know SW is a lil different, so as far as the "live sand" and "live rock" (still dont get the concept of those) i couldnt help ya there.

Good luck!
Andrewz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Depending on how deep the sand bed is you may be able to keep it. If it's more than an inch or two, dump it and get new sand.
Keep enough water for the fish and to keep the LR submerged, but don't use more than 50% of the old tank water in the new tank. Have enough freshly mixed sw on hand at the new location to half fill the tank, add the LR back and continue filling it.

That should minimize any spikes.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
how old and deep is your sand bed?
i'm in agreement with the above about the water. keep the rock/livestock/sand submerged in it for the trip, but have enough water made at the new location so that you can toss all of the old water if need be.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus
Don't know what the temps are down in Florida but you might want to run a heater off your inverter also.
meegosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via Skype™ to clark4feathers
what about the water temp? Does he need to keep it warm?

Tammy, Elbow deep in saltwater....
clark4feathers is offline   Reply With Quote

moving, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com