Moving my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VAguy39

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I may be moving from Virginia to Florida sometime towards the end of the year. I will be driving down to FL. Is it possible to some how take my tank with me? It is a 26 Gal. Here is what I have in the tank 3 fish - Clown, Royal Gramma, and a Purple Fire Fish. I also have a cleaner shrimp. As for corals I have Hammer, Tourch, Xenia, Zoo's, Green Star, and Yellow Star. Their is also about 40 lbs of live rock. Is their any way I can take the tank with me, or should I try to sell it and start over. My wife and I really love the tank and have worked hard over the last year building our reef. We have two small kids so we would probably have to stop for the night. Can the corals survive for 2 days without their nornal high levels of light? What do you all think?

I will be facing the same problem in a year or two, i will most likely be moving out of state, at least a couple hour drive. I dont think temp would be a big problem, since you will be in warm states, If you sell, you probably wont get as much as you paid, so i would try and take them with you. If you think about it, it takes them a while to get shipped to the U.S. I have read a lot of moving threads on this forum, i know a lot of people use a lot of tupperware and coolers, portable heaters and air pumps. Its not a very big tank, so i would def. go for it. Are you moving into a New house or Apt? If a new house, maybe its time to upgrade your tank, thats why i only got a 50 gallon. Also plan on saving all your water or else it probably wont work out. Keep us posted.

That's what I was thinking as well. I think I will go for it. I was gong to try and just leave as much as possible in the tank. just try to arrange it so it will not move around to much. I was thinking of leaving the tank the way it is, and just remove the more delicate corals and put them in their own containers. I was thinging of removing maybe 30-40% of the water, but I will keep it, and also have some new salt water ready so I can do a water change as soon as I get things set back up. We are moving to a new Condo in West Palm Beach.

Thanks,

you might want to totally empty the tank, i remember reading it is not good to move a tank with anything in it, or else it can crack really really easily. Your even supposed to take out the sand which suprised me.

temp. will be a problem but thats all I can think of without light for a meer two days they will do fine. Just the water temp concears me. What does the temp drop down to at night?

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Rev,

I enjoyed reading through the details of your thread about your tank. I guess it would be better to take the whole tank down and move it that way. Since I have a much smaller tank I am hoping it will be a lot easier to move. On one of my trips down before we move I may buy a bigger tank and have it there on the ready. The wife and I would love a 75 Gal. 26 to 75 that would be a nice upgrade. :D

Well we have 6 months at least before we move. I will post again when we get closer to moving.

VAguy39 said:
a 75 Gal. 26 to 75 that would be a nice upgrade. :D

Hah... I'm going to upgrade from a 60 to a 180... can't go wrong with a 3x increase. :D Probably this time I'll do a FOWLR so that I can have some of the not reef-safe fish.

Back
Top Bottom