Moving nightmare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taran

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok friends,

These people are moving from FL to GA Wednesday. They took the 80gallon bow front down and completely cleaned the canister filter out.... Bleach and all.

They want to start the tank back up... From scratch!!! Meanwhile look at these fish... No heather no filter only air stones

Question: I'm starting the tank with a shrimp cycle... That could take 2-6wks!!!. What can they do to keep them alive???

image-504430715.jpg

If you're not pressed for money, live sand, aquacultured fully coralline encrusted live rock and Real Ocean purified ocean water along with a marine supplement and clean up crew could have your actual tank running, it would be helpful if you could find someone with a stable and established tank to give you a clipping of their media, but if not your favorite beneficial bacteria supplement will be ok, but this is a true rush job, and if you're not completely dedicated to the task for at least 48 hours it is really dangerous to do, however, it can be done. There are other posts/ articles on fish-in cycling that might be of interest... I think melousa has some threads about it...

Ok friends,

These people are moving from FL to GA Wednesday. They took the 80gallon bow front down and completely cleaned the canister filter out.... Bleach and all.

They want to start the tank back up... From scratch!!! Meanwhile look at these fish... No heather no filter only air stones

Question: I'm starting the tank with a shrimp cycle... That could take 2-6wks!!!. What can they do to keep them alive???

Yikes!!! I'm not sure if this is possible but can you find a local hobbiest who could house them in an isolation tank? Some altruistic fish keeper would help if you can track one down on Craigslist or go ask the LFS maybe if you bat your eyelashes the boys there will "fish-sit" for free.

(Sorry guys its gets things done)

Another thought- a little cheaper- kiddie pool, bottom tank warmer and an airstone style filter? You do seem to be in quite the predicament

That's a tough one... Getting a store to house them would be your best option, most will do it for a fee. Otherwise, maybe invest heavily in some Bio-Spira from Instant Ocean. I cycled my 75 with dry rock in about 2 weeks with that stuff. Throw some live rock in and it should be that much quicker. Good luck!

That's a tough one... Getting a store to house them would be your best option, most will do it for a fee. Otherwise, maybe invest heavily in some Bio-Spira from Instant Ocean. I cycled my 75 with dry rock in about 2 weeks with that stuff. Throw some live rock in and it should be that much quicker. Good luck!

Ok well thanks for the advice. I advised them your ideas... At this point i just wanna get the tank set up... I just don't want to be responsible for the death of them. I wish they would have asked before they stripped the tank :(

The good news is that those are some pretty tough fish.

The bad news is that they need a good sized tank. You could set something up if you have the funds. Something ATLEAST 75 gallons. I'd get it going with a decent hang on filter with carbon, heater, and aeration. Let it run for 24 hours and check the salinity often. Try to get it to 1.020-1.025 and the temp at 78 degrees. I would keep it bare bottom at first and go get some CURED live rock. You can do small water changes and drop a heater in their small bin in the mean time.....nursing them along. Then acclimate to the tank and cross your fingers. It can be done, but it is going to be quite an ordeal. I would change 25% every 3-4 days and siphon ALL food and debris off the bottom of the tank when you change out the water. The good news is they will probably eat and are disease free.

The good news is that those are some pretty tough fish.

The bad news is that they need a good sized tank. You could set something up if you have the funds. Something ATLEAST 75 gallons. I'd get it going with a decent hang on filter with carbon, heater, and aeration. Let it run for 24 hours and check the salinity often. Try to get it to 1.020-1.025 and the temp at 78 degrees. I would keep it bare bottom at first and go get some CURED live rock. You can do small water changes and drop a heater in their small bin in the mean time.....nursing them along. Then acclimate to the tank and cross your fingers. It can be done, but it is going to be quite an ordeal. I would change 25% every 3-4 days and siphon ALL food and debris off the bottom of the tank when you change out the water. The good news is they will probably eat and are disease free.

Ok!! I have a new plan!!

I am taking filter media from my tank canister and putting it in theirs. I also have bacteria in a bottle i am going to dose as well. I may give them some of my live rock too.

Ill keep you all posted. Game day is Wednesday AM.

Dr Tim's "One & Only" is good bottled bacteria and you can do fish-in. My 75 cycled in about 6 days.

They hopefully know, but that Panther Grouper is gonna get big, and fast. The current tank is gonna need to be closer to 300g, especially with the others in there.

Dr Tim's "One & Only" is good bottled bacteria and you can do fish-in. My 75 cycled in about 6 days.

They hopefully know, but that Panther Grouper is gonna get big, and fast. The current tank is gonna need to be closer to 300g, especially with the others in there.

Well they ended up not taking the fish or tank with them.

Case closed

Back
Top Bottom