Moving polyps/mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_rivers

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a couple of rocks that are covered with green mushrooms and some red and purple polyps. Is it possible to 'harvest' some of these and move them to other rocks? If so, a nice explaination of how to do it and how to get them to stay in place would be much appreciated. Have seen much on moving corals, but not this.

Many thanks.

Jeff

As far as the mushrooms go you can just cut them off with a sharp razor blade. Then wrap them with a piece of rubble in a net. They will attach in a week or less.

MichaelPraters method is a good one! I just propagated my mushrooms. There are many ways to attach them. You can either superglue them directly to the desired rock or you can let them attach to some rubble/cc and then glue the rubble/cc to the desired rock. I have had succes both ways, but by no means are they the only ways. The cool thing is once you cut it off the rock, it will most likely grow back again. :mrgreen:

I too have used the superglue method. However I found the mushrooms hard to work with out of water due to their slimyness. I have also just tucked them into holes in rocks.

super glue? Like regular ol' store bought super glue? C'mon....

Yep, I use the LocTite brand, or the Duro Brand gel, I get it from Wally World. I prefer to use bridal veil on mushrooms, I don't think the glue is effective.

The only way I have had any luck glueing shrooms is to let the cuttings sit on the substrate until they attach to a few small pieces. This, of course, won't work too well if you have sand substrate. A shallow bowl with some rubble or crushed coral will work in this case. Once the shroom attaches, you can glue it where ever you want. I have had the best luck with the Ross brand super glue gel. It's available at Office Depot, but I get it at the dollar store...CHEAP :). I have never used veil on shrooms, but I have had great luck using it on ricordia which are very similar. Anything reefrunner tells you is pretty much gospel though 8) .
Logan J

Ok, so I it that you take the rock and softies are out of the tank and work somewhere, trying to keep as much as possible wet while your working? Then wait a couple of minutes for the glue to dry? Sorry...have to laugh a bit. We work so hard trying to keep things in balance and then using super glue on them just blows my mind, lol.

Use a bowl of tank water to work in. Don't wait for the glue to dry if you decide to use it. The glue heats up as it sets so you need to get the cutting in the water ASAP. The heat can damage the cutting. The glue is not affected by water and will set underwater just fine. I have just put a piece of ricordia on a rock and covered it with veil. I glue the veil at all four corners and put it in the tank for a couple of weeks. Then I tear the veil off and it's attached. Shrooms might attach faster though.
Logan J

sorry i'm going to ask you guys a question about this too. when you cut the mushrom do you just cut the head off? and if so does the stalk grow a new head? what would happen if you cut the mushroom into like 3 or even 4 seperate pieces?

It'll take a little longer, but you'll end up with 3-4 mushrooms. I usually cut the head and some of the stalk off. I then give it a few days to heal up a little. Then I take the head back out and cut it into 4 or even 6 pieces. Each piece will grow a complete shroom. The portion of the stalk will grow a new head. If you split the stalk with a razor blade, it'll grow two heads.
Logan J

I'm not sure how true it is, but i have heard not to cut too much at once. The reason being is they release a small amount of toxin. If you cut 10 mushrooms in half it could be a problem. Anyone heard of this. I have always been careful, be safe rather than sorry.

I should have mentioned not to cut them in the tank. I always cut them in a tupperware bowl full of tank water. I do the palythoa and zoanthids the same way. Haven't ever had any problem with this method. Good catch Micheal!
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom