Moving Pulsing xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewelch

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wonding how to move a clump of pulsing xenia. I have an anenome that recently moved rather close and is touching the xenia. The anenome has not moved in about a year but with a lighting change it decided to move. Will it hurt the xenia?
can I just pull the xenia off the rock .... will that damage it? Should I try to encourage the anenome to move instead?

I kinda moved stuff around and the xenia is attached pretty well. Will it hurt it?

Best bet is to move the rock the xenia is attached to if possible. Yes the anenome can injure the xenia.

I actually already pulled the xenia off the rock. The anenome and xenia were attached to the same large live rock. I wedged the two peices of xenia in between other rock. They went rather limp. Will they be ok? This stuff grows crazy in my tank.

question is how does one move a xenia?
I managed to 'get lucky' in getting some pom-pom on a piece of live rock.
The stuff has quadrupled in size in a matter of two months... I'd like to keep some of it and prop other places in the tank, but how do I get it off the rock?
Butter knife?
Pull?
Dremel? (hehe j/k)

i just reached in and pulled them off the rock. kinda barbaric but it really dind't seem to affect them much. They were a little droopy afterwards but soon recovered

You can also scrape it off the rock with a razor blade or just cut it really close to the base. It has worked for me pretty well.

I''ve always pulle/peeled mine from rock. Worked fine. Otherwise, cutting it low and leaving a gell on the rock only makes for a new growth there again soon. When possible, I used a toothpick and a rubber band to attach frags to rocks. Toothpick through the bottom of the stalk. Rubberband on both ends of the toothpick and around the rock. Ususall, 3 days later, I could remove the pick and rubber band and the xenia was attached.

Back
Top Bottom