moving substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

queenb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am purchasing an established reef aquarium, the move is close to my house. I am orgainizing the move, but have concern how to deal with the substrate.

I have done some research and realize if I disturb the bottom I can
release some nasty stuff.

The tank is 90 gallons, so removing the water and leaving the substrate will likely be too heavy to handle.

I am trying to figure out what would be better.

Remove the substrate (crushed coral), rinse with tank water and reuse

or

buy a new substrate, agrigate, or crushed coral, or possibly live sand.

the existing tank is well established with live rock and fish, we plan to capture all water including all the existing sump water and plant material. The tank has many beautiful corals growing on the sides of the tank. Our plan is to orchestrate a quick move keeping the attached corals wet while we drive approx 15 min and re establish the tank immediately.

we are hoping to somehow keep the ammonia levels from spiking as we will need to add the corals and existing fish back.

our plan is to do frequent water changes to control the nitrates and such.

if anyone has any advice to us, we would appreciate it greatly

thanks

I'd go with all brand new sand (I recommend aragonite). Just get dry aragonite and start completely from scratch on your substrate. It's too risky to do otherwise. If you want to keep a cup full or so of the established crushed coral to seed the fresh sand that'll be fine too. Just sprinkle it accross the top after the new sand is in and wet.

Back
Top Bottom