Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2005, 05:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Moving Tank during cycle.

Hi All,

Thanks for the help in the past. I have a question about having to move a tank about 4cm.

This is my first setup and have my tank almost completed it's cycle. My ammonia is at 0 and Nitrites are dropping.

I was told not to install a protein skimmer during the cycling, but rather to wait for the cycle to complete.

As I am sure most people are eager to set their tanks up when they first get them home, I set mine up, but did not leave enough space between the tank and the wall behind it. There is about 4cm of space at the moment. I am thinking of getting the Red Sea Prizm skimmer, but have found out that the skimmer is 6cm deep.

Basically, I am going to have to move my tank further from the wall.

Anyone have any suggestions on doing this? SHould I wait until the tank has completed the cycle? I don't want to disturb it and mess the cycle up.

TIA for the help!

Cheers

B

Old 03-29-2005, 06:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

After the cycle is complete you should do a good water change to reduce nitrates. During this change readjust the tank position.

Cycling the tank is building up the beneficial bacteria on the surfaces within the tank. The water itself does not hold nitrifying bacteria to an extent that it is needed.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Move the wall . Don't forget when you move your tank to remove practically everything you can out of it (especially if it is glass). The water weighs 8 lbs a gallon and who knows what the substrate, rock and misc weighs. How big is the tank? Good luck...
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:38 AM   #4

It's a 48 gallon...
Old 03-29-2005, 09:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would not worry too much about emptying the tank if it is only a 4 cm move as you stated in the first post. Remove some of the water and make sure the rock etc. wont topple over and slide the tank the short distance needed. If it is a farther move that requires lifting etc. I agree with mjvincent and remove as much as possible before moving it.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If all else fails drain the water into a trash can and move it. Sounds pretty simple to me.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:45 AM   #7

Thanks all...
Old 03-30-2005, 12:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your system weighs nearly 400lbs that will do alot of damage to floors if you do get it to move and you drag it. I would definitely drain most of the tank into a tub or garbage can. Use a pump or power head attached to hose to tranfer the water (quicker and cleaner then buckets). It would only take you a few minutes to empty and fill the tank using the power head. I would do it now, it may be a minor set back but it will set you back anyway. Keep the substrate and rocks moist. Also I would give yourself extra room, you never know what upgrade you might get.

Tags
cycle, moving, moving tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com