Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

moving tank help

Hi all just wanted a bit of advice in a couple of weeks I will be moving house luckily enough its only across the road but im struggling to think how to move my 260 litre reef tank. How much water should I keep. Should I clean the sand before adding water and livestock back and how to keep all my corals alive which are all attached to 35 kilos of rock.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Put the livestock in totes/pails with heater and power heads Save a cup or two of the old sand to reseed. Rinse the rest of the sandbed as moving it will release all kinds of nastys
I like to use new salt water as coral can dump toxins when stressed. Match the temp in the tank as closely to the totes as you can, place rock and corals then drip acclimate the fish

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have moved my tank multiple times and suggest the following: break the tank down into multiple plastic totes that are easy to carry. You can place the rocks, coral, and fish in these as well. If the move won't be too long you really don't have to worry about power heads. Keep a inch or so of water in the tank and leave the sand in the tank as well. Move it to the new house, put everything back in the tank and you're good to go. If you decide to remove the sand rinse it before adding it back to the tank.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

moving tank help

If the sand is over a year old it's a good chance to replace it. I agree plastic totes are the best especially the round shaped ones as they are easier to carry. Main thing to watch out for is major temperature drop during the move depending what city and country you are in.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you to you all its the only thing ive been worried about in the move really dont want to mess up what ive managed to do l. Oh and the tank is only been running around 8 months and im in the uk the weather isn't that bad but cold enough.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would think washing the sand would kill the beneficial bacteria. Wouldn't his tank go into another small cycle causing algae?
Old 02-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I guess, I always left the sand alone during the move so no true experience there. I would think it also depends on how much rock is in the tank.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

IME the sand has a lot of detritus that gets released when you pull the rock and move the tank That will cause a mini cycle. I've had better luck reseeding the rinsed sand, that's why i said save 2-3 cups of the old sand. You may get a small amm spike that can be dealt with,With a simple water change

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com