Moving tank to basement. Need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binaryterror

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have my tank in my room (upstairs), and my dad hates it up there. He is afraid it will overflow or leak. So he said I have to move it into the basement. What my idea for doing it is... I would get 2 or 3 rubbermaid tubs, and siphon the water from the tank all into the tubs. Then, bring the empty tank downstairs. Set it up, and get it ready for water. The I would put my mag5 pump into the rubber maid tub, and connect it to a few hoses (garden hoses) and pump the water back into the tank in the basement. So my main question is, will it be OK to use a few garden hoses to pump water downstairs? I have hot water outside, so maybe I could run hot water(and I mean really HOT) through the hose for a few minutes to maybe burn out whatever is in there, if anything is in there. Please help!

To prevent your back from breaking, you might want to place the rubbermaid tubs downstairs, then get a 5G bucket or two and just do trips? Maybe that's safer than moving a tub down the basement.

I am sorry that you ended up having to go through this. (sorry, Hara. Comment deleted. I meant well for our friend). Good luck, friend!

Well, I wasnt going to carry anything. I said above that I was going to place my Mag5 in the tubs and pump the water downstairs to the tank (which will have been emptied and moved already).

I really dont mind me doing this, because I know how he feels about it overflowing. I would be scared too. In the basment, if it overflows, it wont to anything to the house. So I am happy about that. Plus more people will be able to see it and enjoy it.

I am on the second story in my house and thats where my tank is. my parents dont mind, but untill it moves somewhere else im not getting new carpet. the nice thing about my room is that it has a sink in there. So i dont have drag around bucket all though the house and that way i dont spill.

Make sure you have a lot of help so nothing goes wrong.

IMO a garden hose is NOT a good idea. I want to say they might leach something into the water. When I run the hose the water always smells different, you know that hose water smell and it tastes different too. Get some help and carry the cans down stairs, get a couple so there not that heavy.

binaryterror said:
Well, I wasnt going to carry anything. I said above that I was going to place my Mag5 in the tubs and pump the water downstairs to the tank (which will have been emptied and moved already).

I really dont mind me doing this, because I know how he feels about it overflowing. I would be scared too. In the basment, if it overflows, it wont to anything to the house. So I am happy about that. Plus more people will be able to see it and enjoy it.

Oh, my mistake. I had the impression that you were going to carry the rubbermaid downstairs, then use the pump to pump back the water into the tank. What was I thinking. I apologize for that.

Also, I didn't mean to sound as though I am critizing your parents just for the fun of it. I was more thinking of empathizing with you and saying that to your defense. I apologize. I meant well. It looks like it is a good idea to bring the tank downstairs. In that way, like you said, there are less worries.

Good luck on the move however you end up doing it. You definitely need a company or two to help you out. Hope all goes well!

DON'T USE THE HOSE UNLESS YOU KNOW IT'S SAFE!

Consumer Reports did a test a few years ago and found:
"it’s OK to drink from a hose only if it’s labeled safe or if you flush it first. Otherwise, the water standing inside may contain worrisome amounts of lead and other chemicals that leach from the hose itself. Many hoses are made of polyvinyl chloride, which uses lead as a stabilizer. . ."

Oh crap I already used my hose to trasport the water. It is running now and has 2 Chromis, and 4 Damsels. They have been fine. I has been running for 1 day.

Yeah, but read my othet thread. I cant get the sump and wet/dry to level out. it either keeps filling or keeps emptying. I have 2 seperate overflow boxes.

Back
Top Bottom