Moving to a bigger aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canisters work fine not the optimum but I have one on a 40 gal tank I just replaced the noodles with some marine pure as the surface area is poor on the noodles and marine pure is 3000 times it's surface area and also add some poly filter on top shelf to collect the large waste passing thru.
Good luck you will be fine.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400554220.437518.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400554247.161494.jpg
Day number 2 after the move,everything looks good.....
I have a skimmer and a hang on refugium for filtration, and just using the canister this week because the water was really cloudy....I'm going to add some more fishes this week end....
Any suggestion?I was thinking a yellow tang, a mandarin and maybe a couple of small fishes, because it have no lid are fire fish recommended , the water level is 2" below the top...

Don't get a mandarin unless you have a mature tank for at least a year, and they also require numerous amounts of Copepods to feed them which (if I didn't have a culture of them) would cost me about $40 a month.

Oh ok, my 29 gallon been running for 2 years,is that ok? Or because I move everything to the 70 is considered a new tank?
I been told I can grow pods in the refugium, is that ok?

I grow pods in my refugium
I would wait a couple months to get a Mandy and make sure that you have no other pod eating fish to compete with him.
I really love my green mandarin.

70 Lil small for a tang, you would have rto rehome it in a few months no?

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes your tank is still too small for any tang. And I would skip the mandarin as well. Even with a fuge you may not be able to maintain enough pods for one in a tank that size.

Ok about the tang, but I told was fine to keep a mandarin in a small 30 g also, I get those number from liveaquaria.... Tang is at least 100g a mandarin they say 30g....
I may can get a small size tang and sell back to the store, is just because I like the yellow, must be something similar for a 70g

30 gal may be fine for swimming space but you would need to supplement heavily with purchased or cultured pods(external of tank and fuge). Same is likely for your tank size.

I guess I have to look into it if I want to get a mandarin,just trying to get some nice fish for the 70g, don't want to go to the store and buy whatever , sometime they just want the$...
Right now I have 2 clown, 2 cardinal, anemone, 2 cleaner shrimp ,hermits and snails,and corals
I
Like firefish but they are jumpers and my aquarium have no cover

Even with transferring things give the tank time to mature again so time to figure out what to do with manderin

I feel ya on tang though my favorite salty fish is clown trigger so short of winning powerball I don't see one in my future.....

Yes, I don't want to rush any process.i like tang, also mandarin,but I can find nice looking fish for a 70 g no problem...

You could put one but you would have ro rehome it and if you are putting the time into one it kk da a letdown imo

There are one or two tangs that a 70g suits well. A 75g would suit a few more types though.
The ones you can house in a 70 are:
1. Kole Yellow Eye - most commonly housed in a tank of this size.
2. Bristletooth Tomni - Second most common I've seen.
Liveaquaria lists two more, however if you are to do one, I'd recommend one of these two.

Also, I've seen a few tanks of this size house a mandarin successfully. They are well established and have been raising pods in them for years though. There can't be any other fish who will compete for pods.

I'm going to wait to get a mandarin, and also going to see if the LFS have any tang that is good for my tank, i font patience,wait for the next upgrade ?????,....
Thank you, I'm going to look for those 2 kind of tang also,

Got this stuff growing all over right now, is just diatom? Do I need to do something or just wait to die off?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401159995.891934.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401160017.487418.jpg

Back
Top Bottom