Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All done. Fishies acclimated fine, I saw no stress whatsoever. I didn't end up using even half the sand. After draining the old tank, I discovered the sand I found was full of, well, detrius. Pretty nasty. I'm amazed how well the sand goby and my nassarius (sp?) snails kept the sand in front clean.

Got everything else all setup yesterday. It's so nice not to have the fuge and skimmer in the stand! Everything is so easy to get to, plus the temp is MUCH easier to control now, I can keep it right at 81 steady. I have a temp probe in both the sump and the display, so I can see where any heat is coming from.

Plumping the sump was tricky. The chest I used for the tank is low - only about 18" high. Maybe 2' at best. The drain from the overflow box was too low to hit the fuge, so I had to plumb it horizontally behind the tank, then down to the fuge. I lost a ton of flow there, but I'm running a filstar, between those two I think I have enough water movement for the next 4 months or so That lower flow from the overflow meant I had to drop my Mag 9.5 return pump and use a smaller one, the overflow couldn't keep up with it, even with a T back to the fuge.

That was my first PVC work - went really smooth. Cut, clean, rough up, glue, move on. The only problem is the PVC set up too fast to make any adjustments after a few seconds, I had to get the parts in precisely where I needed them the first time.

Also - my pump for my CSS 125 skimmer crapped out. I think it was a Rio, which I know has a bad bad rep. I got a good zap when I plugged it in. Had to go get a replacement, I hated to do it, but I got a Rio 1700 at the LFS, and with a few mods, the needle wheel and venturi fit right on, and I'm skimming again.

Back to enjoying the fish for awhile. I'm head over to update my new 180 tank thread.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Sounds like it is coming together Scoot. Way to go.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nice thing about the basement - constant ambient temperature. I've been able to keep temps between 81 and 81.5 without any tweaking of the heater at all. The anemone's seem to appreciate that, they seem fuller.

Fish are still a little shy, but no signs of stress. More like they're mad at me The 2 clownfish found their usual hangout behind the overflow box today. All the rock is totally rearranged, so the other fish are still finding their "spots." The sand goby has already made a new burrow.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moving, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com