All done. Fishies acclimated fine, I saw no stress whatsoever. I didn't end up using even half the sand. After draining the old tank, I discovered the sand I found was full of, well, detrius. Pretty nasty. I'm amazed how well the sand goby and my nassarius (sp?) snails kept the sand in front clean.
Got everything else all setup yesterday. It's so nice not to have the fuge and skimmer in the stand! Everything is so easy to get to, plus the temp is MUCH easier to control now, I can keep it right at 81 steady. I have a temp probe in both the sump and the display, so I can see where any heat is coming from.
Plumping the sump was tricky. The chest I used for the tank is low - only about 18" high. Maybe 2' at best. The drain from the overflow box was too low to hit the fuge, so I had to plumb it horizontally behind the tank, then down to the fuge. I lost a ton of flow there, but I'm running a filstar, between those two I think I have enough water movement for the next 4 months or so That lower flow from the overflow meant I had to drop my Mag 9.5 return pump and use a smaller one, the overflow couldn't keep up with it, even with a T back to the fuge.
That was my first PVC
work - went really smooth. Cut, clean, rough up, glue, move on. The only problem is the PVC
set up too fast to make any adjustments after a few seconds, I had to get the parts in precisely where I needed them the first time.
Also - my pump for my CSS 125 skimmer crapped out. I think it was a Rio, which I know has a bad bad rep. I got a good zap when I plugged it in. Had to go get a replacement, I hated to do it, but I got a Rio 1700 at the LFS
, and with a few mods, the needle wheel and venturi fit right on, and I'm skimming again.
Back to enjoying the fish for awhile. I'm head over to update my new 180 tank thread.