Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mrs. Wages for kalk

I know there was some debate on Mrs. Wages pickling lime. Is she safe to make up kalk?

TIA
Stephen

Old 05-15-2005, 09:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

From what I hear yes, I actually am about to run out of the Kalk water mix that I have, and I was just about to buy some pickling lime... I sure hope there isnt anything wrong with it.

Old 05-16-2005, 06:49 AM   #3
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep - many threads throughout the web support the use of pickling lime. I use it as well and have not had any problems.

A little vinegar ( I use about a teaspoon )will help get it into solution and well help moderate the pH as well.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

one teaspoon per gallon or one teaspoon per million gallons? lol sorry I just gotta make sure...
Old 05-16-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
1 teaspoon per gal of RO water. Mix up and let sit for 24 hours. Dispense the clear liquid.

In all honesty this stuff is nearly identical to the kalk they sell in the LFS. The LFS version may be a bit more pure but pickling lime is what kalkwasser is.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So this stuff comes from the grocery store?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, grocery store, on the isle where they sell canning jars and supplies (which is often times the Jell-o isle)
Old 05-16-2005, 10:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is this right? 1 teaspoon pickling lime per gallon of RO water and 1 teaspoon vinegar per gallon
Also is there a specific kind of vinegar I should use to keep pH in check?
I was planning on using the kalk for top-off water. I do not have an automatic top-off so how long should I take to dispense the kalk?

Thanks for all the responses and help!!

Stephen
Old 05-17-2005, 06:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Anybody?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:43 PM   #10
steve-s

The amount of kalk you use is dependant on the depletion rate of the tanks water chemistry (alk/Ca). The higher the depletion rate the more often you'll need to drip kalk. The lower the depletion rate the less kalk needed. You are better off using less kalk daily than a higher saturation of limewater infrequently. This will help maintain stability rather than using the kalk to repair low levels. The saturation point of kalk is actually 2 teaspoons per gallon of RO water. The vinegar helps boost the dissolution of lime solids so you get higher yield. I would start off with just the one teaspoon of kalk and see how that does, then if need add the second teaspoon of kalk the next time. I find vinegar is rarely needed unless you have a high content of scleractinians and the 2tspn/gal ratio of limewater isn't keeping up.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com