Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-03-2004, 04:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
mucous-like material in filter line and water

I'm very new to salt water. I have a 30 gal tank with a few damsels which has not yet cycled. I performed a partial water change yesterday, vaccuumed the gravel and replaced / rinsed the filter media in the canister filter as per the instructions.

Today I notice thin sheets of white, mucous like material in the water. When in the water it looks almost like thin sheets of silk, but when removed it's more mucous-like. There was a looooong sheet of it in the line running from the canister back to the tank, which dislodged when I pinched the line.

Ideas and suggestions would be very much appreciated. I scanned the headings of previously posted messages and didn't see any similar looking questions. If this has been answered, I apologize for the repeat and would appreciate being pointed to the correct thread.

Thanks in advance.

copi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I've attached a photo of the situation (hopefully this works...)

Thanks again in advance

Old 10-03-2004, 09:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Also, the same white slime seems to be growing on the tank walls... is this just algae? Or maybe some kind of mold? I'm so inexperienced that I dont know what to think of this...
Old 10-03-2004, 09:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got the same thing. For me its covering the LR like a blanket or spiderweb. Its creating a skin on the LS and in places with high current like on powerheads it makes long strings. I have no clue what it is though.
sevise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Add another person with this same problem (if it is a problem)...maybe it will just go away with time.

I actually have a newly setup FW planted tank. I first noticed it around the rubber suction cup of my thermometer. I cleaned it off but it came back again. This thermometer has been removed as of today. Now I notice that the same slimy mucous like stuff is accumulating on my CO2 bubble ladder.

Currently I don't have any fish in this tank. Wish I could show some picture but no digital camera (although my white stuff looks similar to copi's, just seems to be more of it in small concentrated areas of the tank).

I guess it's not really hurting anything, just kind of unsightly.
natebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 12:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a fluval in which I run GAC. Whenever I replace the GAC, I have to shut down the fluval.

When I re-start it, it pukes out tons of the same looking white stuff. The initial pulse of the pump must dislodge it from inside the tubing. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't seem to cause any harm.

55g Reef
(3) Maxi-Jet 1200's, Wavemaker Pro
AquaC Remora Skimmer
100lbs Live Rock
20g Refugium
(1) Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
(1) Peppermint Shrimp
(2) False Percs
(1) Orchid Dottyback
(1) Lawnmower Blenny
(1) Flame Angel
(1) Spotted Mandarin
(1) Red Brittle Star
(1) Banded Serpent Star

"But then again, fish do tend to eat one another. I often wonder ... if fish get awfully tired of seafood? What are your thoughts Hobson?"
gear-head is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, line

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com