Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2005, 02:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've seen about 6 different kinds of tangs stored together in a 180g. Blue, powderblue, sailfin, purple, yellow, sohal and one more I can't remember specifically. They had ZERO issues since all were added at the same time and all were of relatively similar size.

But regardless, get only one purple, get 3-4 yellow, a sailfin, a regal, and a sohal if you want. You're going to need a lot of nori 8O

As I've said before, tangs are very social creatures (so more is actually better in this case) but they tend to get annoyed with the same tankmates especially if they grow hungry or if added at to the tank at different times after the others have already established territory.

PS. DO NOT PASS UP THE SAILFIN TANG. These things are so neat, they're small, then they're huge... small.. huge.. small... huge.. you get my point.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update. I have had two purple tangs, 3 yellow tangs, blue tang, convict, and a sailfin tang in a 100 gal QT since Friday morning with no aggression towards each other. They are eating nori like crazy.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Very cool, you should be fine! Man, I'd love to see some pictures of your setup if you could post some

Jim
Old 08-31-2005, 03:28 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
brenden..any chances of getting a blue tang in there.. a full grown one would look great amidst all those purples and yellows!!
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:54 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice Brenden! The only concern I would have is 2 purple's. May or may not be a problem. We need PICS!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 02:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Breed babies breed! Very cool and I join the ranks of "Where are the pics?!" I love the look of the PBT with the yellows and the purple (throw in a yellow morph of a golden eel and I'm in heaven, lol). Since they all have that hint of yellow they really look great together.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

StripesTheEel I do have a blue, and a convict. I fixed my post. It is much smaller and hides in the rock most of the time. I guess that is what you get when you buy online and can not pick your fish. I will try to get a pic tomorrow when I throw some nori in the tank. It is a QT so it will not be pretty. I have seen no aggression at all. They all school together and swim the length of the tank. I can not wait to get them in the main.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Brenden....

I am living vicariously through you....ha. I have a 55 and have always wished I would have gone bigger

We gotta see pics!

Also, in my experience, blue tangs tend to act very different than other tangs in the beginning.....they are shy, they hide, they play dead, the go really pale, they even stick their front half under objects and lay on their side. I have had several and none of them acted "normal" at first. Given time, they will (unless they get ich, of course, which you shouldn't have in your QT if these are your first fish) Sorry about the rambling, HTH

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com