Multiple tang question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have no experience with tangs but have read they can get aggressive when together in a tank if they do not have enough room. I figured I would ask the experts before I purchased. Would purchasing 2 purple, 1 sailfin, 2 yellow tangs be a definite "don't do " for my tank or do you think they would have a good chance of getting along with the room they would have?

You can have that in a 525 no problem.

A japanese hibachi place in my town has a sohal, a yelow, a blue, and a naso in a 280 and they are all full grown and get along fine! The sohal does run the show in the tank though.

If I were you I'd probably nix the Sailfin, they don't look as pretty when they get full grown. I'd trade that guy for a sohal. That's just me though, everyone's fish preference is different.

sohals are so beautiful.

I guess the only thing is adding the most aggressive last from what i read.

I would tend to think there should be no problem with that size of tank! But being all of them Zebrasomas you might get a quarrel or two once in a while, no problem with that whatsoever.

I have a yellow tang in my 55 gal, years ago I had another one in the same tank. I've found out that they are aggresive to fish that have the same color and look like them, for example a yellow angel or butterfly fish. Of course this is from personal experience only, other people may be ok with the combination in a much bigger tank.

But then again, I went to Sea World the other day and they had a huge tank PACKED with yellow tangs, everybody was getting along just fine...

Having that many tangs in your tank should not be a problem, but having that many of the same shape probably will be. if you had a naso, hippo, sailfin, purple they would probably get along with no problems.
having 2 purple and 2 yellow and adding them at different times may be some problems.
I would add all 4 at the same time to get the best results... JMO..

All tangs will be introduced at the same time. I am thinking of dropping the sailfin and adding a 3rd yellow. I plan on ordering tomorrow. First time having fish shipped I have always purchased local. WIsh me luck.

i would stick with the sailfin.. mix it up a little.. and when full grown that sail looks great when opened..

but no matter anyway...by the time i post you've already ordered :eek:

I helped a friend break down his 450. He originally had 2 purples and maybe 2 yellows. I know the one purple killed the other. When we broke down his tank I moved the yellow, purple and powder blue (I can't tell you what a beautiful color combination this is since they all have yellow in them... add a gold stripe maroon and a yellow eel, I'm in heaven). They've "grown up" together and they do well together. Right now they're in temporary holding in my 65 and still get along well (bearing in mind that they grew up together in much larger quarters helps this tremendously).

I've seen about 6 different kinds of tangs stored together in a 180g. Blue, powderblue, sailfin, purple, yellow, sohal and one more I can't remember specifically. They had ZERO issues since all were added at the same time and all were of relatively similar size.

But regardless, get only one purple, get 3-4 yellow, a sailfin, a regal, and a sohal if you want. You're going to need a lot of nori 8O

As I've said before, tangs are very social creatures (so more is actually better in this case) but they tend to get annoyed with the same tankmates especially if they grow hungry or if added at to the tank at different times after the others have already established territory.

PS. DO NOT PASS UP THE SAILFIN TANG. These things are so neat, they're small, then they're huge... small.. huge.. small... huge.. you get my point. ;)

Update. I have had two purple tangs, 3 yellow tangs, blue tang, convict, and a sailfin tang in a 100 gal QT since Friday morning with no aggression towards each other. They are eating nori like crazy.

Very cool, you should be fine! Man, I'd love to see some pictures of your setup if you could post some :D

Jim

Nice Brenden! The only concern I would have is 2 purple's. May or may not be a problem. We need PICS!!!!!!

Breed babies breed! Very cool and I join the ranks of "Where are the pics?!" I love the look of the PBT with the yellows and the purple (throw in a yellow morph of a golden eel and I'm in heaven, lol). Since they all have that hint of yellow they really look great together.

StripesTheEel I do have a blue, and a convict. I fixed my post. It is much smaller and hides in the rock most of the time. I guess that is what you get when you buy online and can not pick your fish. I will try to get a pic tomorrow when I throw some nori in the tank. It is a QT so it will not be pretty. I have seen no aggression at all. They all school together and swim the length of the tank. I can not wait to get them in the main.

Brenden....

I am living vicariously through you....ha. I have a 55 and have always wished I would have gone bigger :)

We gotta see pics!

Also, in my experience, blue tangs tend to act very different than other tangs in the beginning.....they are shy, they hide, they play dead, the go really pale, they even stick their front half under objects and lay on their side. I have had several and none of them acted "normal" at first. Given time, they will (unless they get ich, of course, which you shouldn't have in your QT if these are your first fish) Sorry about the rambling, HTH

Back
Top Bottom