Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Multiple Tangs

So I was just invited over to my LFS owners house and was amazed by his 110 gallon tank, he had between 5 and 10 tangs, swimming around with one another like they were Chromis. I also watched as he casually dumped a Powder Blue in with all of the others and none of them flaired up or were bothered by the new fish. I guess the extra space makes all of the difference.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
I guess the extra space makes all of the difference.
What extra space? The reason for no aggression is none of the fish can establish any territory. They are all stressed out..I guarantee it.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Larry. I wouldnt trust that LFS as far as I could throw him. As Larry said they are stressed out. Go back in a few months and I`ll bet those same fish are not there.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:10 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

5-10 in a 110-gallong, and I doubt it is even 6' long. I will only have 3-tangs in my 180-gallon
Old 09-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

ryshark, why is that only 3 in a180 I quess you have a bunch of other fish but if you did not have others could you then have more tangs is the rule for SW less then FW fish per gallon.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I only have 3 in my 125 gallon tank. Aside from the normal aggression that happen between tangs they are also play a huge toll on the bioload of your tank. They need to be fed plenty of greens and they let go of alot of fish waste. I`m not RYshark bit just giving my 2 cents worth.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

your 2 cents is appreciated anytime thanks, that answers that question
Old 09-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I agree with Melosu, they produce lots of waste. When you get one you will see they crap a lot. For my 180-gallon I could probably go with 4 but that would be my limit. My only other "big" fish besides the tangs will probably be my Copperband. Right now I have a blue hippo tang and a desjardini sailfin tang. My plan is to add an Achilles tang and that will probably be it for tangs.
With the new cone skimmer I got today, I could probably handle 10-tangs waste... however the aggression and stress would not be good with that many.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 2 tangs one will go in the new tank shortly, A blue hippo 2 inches and a yellow 2 inches and I watch them alot since I am home all day and they get along great always together like a pair of perks do, ryshark you said with a skimmer you could handle way more tangs waste wise, skimmers make that much difference? I have a skimmer and it really gets nasty dirty after a wk but I didn't know they could make that much difference that you could double your load as you have said.

I would really like to build my own glass tank maybe 8ft long I have a room I can do that in do you know if anyone has done that and is there a article anywhere how to do it.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmcm1947 View Post
I have 2 tangs one will go in the new tank shortly, A blue hippo 2 inches and a yellow 2 inches and I watch them alot since I am home all day and they get along great always together like a pair of perks do, ryshark you said with a skimmer you could handle way more tangs waste wise, skimmers make that much difference? I have a skimmer and it really gets nasty dirty after a wk but I didn't know they could make that much difference that you could double your load as you have said.

I would really like to build my own glass tank maybe 8ft long I have a room I can do that in do you know if anyone has done that and is there a article anywhere how to do it.
The skimmer removes the organics out of the water helping keep the water clean, nitrates down etc. I am over skimming because I have sps coral in my tank which like very clean water. Tangs can create a big bioload so the skimmer helps clean the water. This is the skimmer I have on my tank SWC Xtreme Cone Protein Skimmer 250 1A SWC Xtreme Cone Skimmer 250 A [Xtreme Cone 250 1A] - $899.99 : SWC - Salt Water Connection, Protein Skimmers, Calcium Reactors, Filters & Lights

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com