multiple yellow tangs!!!!?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
could i keep a group of five or six yellow tangs (i read that was the minimum to form a school and otherwise one would just kill the others) iin a 175-200 gallon tank?:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:
thanks!

I don't see why not, especially in a system that large. I plan on keeping 3 in my 220.

You'd need to keep them in odd numbers (3,5, or 7) and introduce them all at once, and make them the last ones you add. I'd go with 3 or 5.

You can keep them in any combination. Fish are just like people, they each have unique dispositions. You may end up with one that is aggressive regardless of how many similar tangs there are. Like wise, you may have 10 that get along great, there is no way to know until you introduce them. I would advice introducing them all at once as well though, this way none of them have established territories.

I have had schools of Tangs for years. And yes, they spar all the time. Trick is to have enough of them for one not to be picked on. 3 is a minimum number and try to add them all at once.

Definitely. Add them all at once, don't worry about odds and evens. They don't go into a tank and count how many there are and then become aggressive based on their findings.

Fishguy2727 said:
Definitely. Add them all at once, don't worry about odds and evens. They don't go into a tank and count how many there are and then become aggressive based on their findings.

Lol, just imagine....There are four of us! Kill someone so we can reach a numerical equilibrium within the ecosystem! Time to draw straws...

I wouldn't worry to much with a tank that size. They will have plenty of room to establish territory. Adding them all at once should eliminate some of the fighting.

I would add just three. If you had 5+ yellow tangs in a 175-200, you'd never notice anything else as your eyes would be drawn to a school of yellow.

Is that bad?

We put about six and a white lip (I think) in the 560 at the shop I was running. They looked amazing, all the customers like them, and there were room for more.

An even number of tangs in a 560 is fine, and 7 tangs in a tank that large wouldn't be problematic so long as they got along. There are people with 6 tangs in 125 gallons of water o_O. I know my LFS 600 display has 10+ tangs, many of which are over 10".

I was just saying that 5 yellow tangs in a ~200 gallon tank would hog up the spotlight. I guess for certain people that's a good thing, but I like having a ton of different things rather than a few of a certain thing :p

Back
Top Bottom