MURDER! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwish8990

Aquarium Advice Regular
My sandstar was killed today :evil: I'm betting it was the crabs that came with the live rock that did it. Pretty sad because I only had him for like 2 days and he did a full lap around the tank during that time. He seemed pretty active, sigh.

Attachments

• murder.jpg
    murder.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 205
RLG2182 said:
So sorry to hear... $12 yesterday, a week of grief later. :( (clown for $29? Did he come with a key chain too? ;) )

I think my LFS took me for a ride on that one... :?

Darin at Captive Reefs can get ya a MJ1200 for $20 w/6% discount too... but we're off topic here. :roll:

You sure that crab killed it? What are your water parameters? Was it stressed? Is it still intact and looking good... just... not moving? Info would help.

Again, sorry for the loss

:idea:

can a sandstar re-grow its leg like an octopus? Maybe it can still survive? :?: I just noticed its moving away from the live rock but it only has 3 limbs left... well maybe 2 1/2

I have one that has two of its limbs half gone and it is doing fine. It came that way from etropicals.com I am assuming they will grow back but am not sure.

I know folks here love liverocks.com but c'mon, $225 for 40#?? WOW!

I paid $112 for 50# of Fiji (Walt Smith, sealed box). Very fresh with nary any smell at all. It cycled my 55gal in 12 days!

liverocks.com is good stuff. $225 for 40lbs shipped, is only $5 a pound. I have to pay $5.50 a pound locally, plus tax, and its not pretty keys rock like lr.com - its stunning to look at.
Plus many people, like myself, found no die off of the live rock, so there was no real cycling time...never had any ammonia or nitrite in the tank...but still ran it empty for a week to be certain.
In addition I got several reef safe crabs, and a half dozen brittle stars.

When you live on the coast, LR can be half the price of what we pay in the midwest.
However $29 is 3 times what I pay for false perc. clowns at the LFS.

Keep an eye on that sand sifter. I've heard mention that stars can get some sort of disease that eats away at their flesh. I don't know if fish can catch it, but other stars can. If he was just wounded, he will indeed regrow the limbs.

If you did not acclimate him well he can actually disentigrate. from rapid salinity change. Stars should be acclimated for at least 2 hours. If he was injured then he will grow new legs.

captivereefs said:
If you did not acclimate him well he can actually disentigrate. from rapid salinity change. Stars should be acclimated for at least 2 hours. If he was injured then he will grow new legs.

My LFS told me not to acclimate it!! :evil: :evil: Think thats what happened???

Just watch the legs and if they keep shrinking that is most likely the problem.

Find a new LFS if they told you not to acclimate. That is crazy talk :(

Back
Top Bottom