Murder suspect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaWoWee

Aquarium Advice Freak
In my tank the only fish i have in there is 2 chromis, 2 clowns, hermits and a 2" red pistol shrimp. At first i bought the pistol along with a randalls goby the lfs claimed to be paired. They seperated soon as i put them in. After a week the goby had a cut on his side then died soon after. Then i bought a diamond watchman and he was ok for 2 weeks and was very hearty. After the 2 weeks, i found just his head laying on the sand. Im suspecting the pistol but i cant prove it. Does anyone have any experience with pistol shrimp personalities? Do they kill anything that crosses their territory?

Pistols are very peaceful shrimp. Sure it's not a banded coral shrimp? Those are nasty buggers. The chromis can be mean, but only to their own kind. What type of clowns? Percs and Occys are very peaceful' the maroons and "natural" clowns can be quite nasty.

Yes. 100% positive its a pistol. Ive have it for 5 months. snaps all the time and I even have videos of its claw cocking back and snapping on hermits and other crabs.. I would never dare to buy a banded coral. The clowns are black ocellaris and peaceful. My chromis did reduce their group to 1 now. I bought a lawnmower blenny today so I'm keeping my fingers crossed with it. I was think it was the size of the shrimp that might make it so aggressive. its 2-2&1/2 in.

Ok good to know. Hope you didn't take my question as an insult, I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page ;)

I have a pistol that's about 2.5 inches long as well. He's as peaceful as can be. Haven't really heard of too many cases of an aggressive pistol. Any signs of the new blenny not getting along with the pistol?

No offense taken here. No signs of the blenny getting bullied yet. All I can do is suspect. Its gonna be one of those things where I would have to catch it in the act. You might be right and those might have just died from other causes and the hermits will come in and feast. Its kind of funny when I look at other forums and many have the same problem. Some say the pistol can kill and some say it won't. Either way, thanks for your 2 cents.

Actually Pistols can become very aggressive in a pairing attempt and it is not always successful, sometimes it ends in a death. Some pistols are easier to pair than others, some wont pair up. I know ive heard many people being more successful with tiger pistols and years back that is what i had paired with a shrimp goby. I bought them paired and never had a problem. Both came from a well established tank though.

I would bet 100% it being the pistol both times.

My pistol was a total jerk and it was a peaceful type (tiger pistol) i guess its hit or miss.

Well if it happens again this time then I'll be totally convinced. After doing a little research, I think I've ID'ed it to be a japanese red snapping shrimp which which some say can be a little mean.

Back
Top Bottom