Mushroom ****

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfrei64

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I love mushroom corals. However.....they have taken over. Can anyone suggest a way to either remove, or kill these critters. I've got a 300, with all kinds of corals, and it's gotten to the point where I need to trim them out to protect the sps. I've repeatedly sold mushrocks back to LFS. Getting em off the glass is no problem, but the rock....aaarggh. Such a double edged sword...the aquarium in doing great, but the slow growers (sps) are losing the battle.

If anyone has the answers please help.

Thanks,
Mike

I have them all over in my tank also but I sell them to my LFS. He pays pretty good money for them also. You could also sell them on this site. The barter or trade area would be a good area to sell them. I`m sure there are folks that would buy them. You can see them all over my tank. I`ve made hunderds off mine.

100_0144.jpg

100_1572.jpg

100_1657.jpg

I've sold them as well, and you're right, it's a profitable venture. But my problem is getting them off large rocks. I have a 300, and some of the rocks are huge, with other corals on them. So I can't simply take out the rock and sell it to LFS. I'm looking for a way to romove mushrooms invading on my sps. I don't even mind killing the mushroom, as long as nothing else is harmed.

any ideas?

I don't even mind killing the mushroom, as long as nothing else is harmed.

any ideas?

I've never had a reason to try it, but I would guess Joe's Juice (aiptasia eliminator) would do the trick. If it didn't kill it outright, I'm sure it'd shrivel it up right quick.

JJ will kill your mushrooms or zoas that you don't want (yikes!!!!!) The way I remove mushrooms from rocks that I can't take out of the tank is to chip away the rock with a flat head screwdriver. By doing this I can usually clear an area up pretty quickly. I don't have the issue of them all over the place but I have had some in areas that I would rather they not be. IF you can get to them try chipping the rock a bit, when I say chip I mean very very gently.

If you have to Joe's Juice will work...

I've heard of success in eliminating soft corals with Calcium Hydroxide injections (heated a possibility). Joe's Juice is just Calcium Hydroxide so why not save yourself some cash and purchase a small tub of CaOH2.

Back
Top Bottom