Mushroom Coral placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
I am trying to find some more specific information as to where mushroom corals should be placed in the tank. I understand that they do not like a lot of water flow. I have also heard people say that they are low light. So I am sure all you lucky people out there with MH lighting put them on the bottom. But where should they be in a system with moderate lighting ie 3 watts per gallon? I am assuming they should be pretty darn close to the top? thanks for the info.
Travis

3 wats per gal I would say you can put them where ever you want.

I would not put them in a shaded area but they should do ok just about anywhere in the tank.

my lfs told me you should never lay them onm the bottom of the tank. But mine do the best on the bottom. Is this ok?

Ok sounds good to me. I have 4 mushrooms, 3 different types, on a piece of limerock. 3 of the 4 look great, but one seems to be constantly changing its appearance...ie scrunching half of itself up. No other critters seem to be bothering it. So I am trying to troubleshoot what it could be. I don't have them in a high flow area per other posts...should they be almost stagnant, blowing slightly in the flow??? Thanks
Travis

they told me that the muchrooms should be placed so the mushrooms are growing down or something like that. They said they should never be placed flat. They look fuller and seem to do better i think when they are flat

Wow Ive never heard that. I wonder if that is true???

Travis said:
Wow Ive never heard that. I wonder if that is true???
If anything, it has more to do with the shrooms spreading. If on a level surface they will spread much slower than being on an incline. I have found that with branching/encrusting soft corals, they spread much faster when inclined as they tend to grow towards the light. As far as health is concerned it makes no difference either way.

Cheers
Steve

Light current and good light are the key to the shrooms. If you want them to spread put a small power head near them and they will move and reproduce at the same time. 0X

Ok Ill give it a shot. I would love to have a nice colony of these guys!

Back
Top Bottom