I have several mushroom corals that are overtaking the tank and it's time to get rid of them becasue they are killing other corals. I've tried many ways to control or kill them and I haven't had much luck. I've tried cutting them and growing them on other rocks to sell but I usually end up butchering the mushroom. Ideally, I'd take the live rock to a LFS
and try to trade for new rock without mushrooms, but I really like the rockscape I have now and the LFS
didn't sound too enthused about taking THAT much rock and mushrooms. I thought I'd put the rock in fresh water with no light, heat, or current to kill off the mushrooms. Approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of my rocks overgrown with mushrooms and would like to do them all at once if possible. My questions are:
1) How long should I leave them in freshwater to kill off the mushrooms?
2) Would I have to "re-cure" the rock afterwards?
3) How long could I keep that much rock out of the display tank without throwing the water chemistry and biofilter off in the tank to where it would harm the things I want to keep?
3a) Would I need to do more regular water changes to make up for the
reduction in LR
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.