mushroom explosion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjr0315

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Mushrooms are taking over my tank. What is the best way to remove them once they have attached to live rock?

a razor...
Then give em out to friends and sell the rest !
I'll pay shipping if you want to send some my way ! :)

I chipped a piece of the rock off where the shrooms are attached to remove them completly so they won't grow back.

I guess too much of a good thing can be bad too...The ONLY coral in my tank that isn't doing great is the mushroom. It keeps it's color but just doesn't open up and look good like it's supposed to. I've moved it up and down in the tank away from the lights but nothing makes a big difference.

Have you tried to move the shrooms to a lower flow area? What kind of lights are they under?

I have had a Shroom frag for a few months. A month ago it produced 3 new shromms. Now it doesnt seem to be growing. I have 460w of PC and it sits near the top in a med to high flow area. Should I move it down? I want them to grow, grow.

My tank's 120 gallons with (mostly) pc lighting....four 10,000Ks, two Actinics and a 40 watt 50/50 flourescent tube. I have move the mushrooms up and down and now into an area of low flow, so it's not disturbed by current. I moved it into this area just about a month ago, after having it for two months or so and it not looking good. I think it's accurate to say that just in the last few days, it IS looking a little bit better. I'm hoping that this will continue and the mushrooms on the rock will eventually show normal behavior. We'll see. I don't know what else to do.

Mushrooms are really tuff. I had some live rock with some shrooms on it curing in a dark bucket with PH for over 3 months and they lived. Of course they lost most of their zooxanthella and were a translucent color. But they quickly recovered under pc lighting.

If you really want the shrooms to spread you can propagate them.

How do you ship these mushrooms? My seem to multiply overnight. I had the same problem with frogspawn, but the lfs traded out with me for different coral.

i have never shipped corals before but I heard that thermos trading with frags is popular.

basically you put the frag to be traded in a bag filled with tank water. Place bag inside thermos and ship. The person you are trading with does the samething. I think you keep the thermos after the trade to be used again for the next thermos trade.

Or you can ship the corals in a bag of water placed inside a styrofoam box with a heat pack (depending on the weather)

People usually ship next day or overnight or something.

I have several shrooms in my tank , and they have propagated several times on their own. I have 4 VHOs (2-blue, 2 white total 440 watts ) on 55 gal. My shrooms are about midway in moderate to high flow and appear do fine. If you wish to propagate them check out GARF web site they have excellent documents on propagation.

What type of fish will eat mushrooms. Will dwarf angels, butterflies, or tangs eat them

Back
Top Bottom