Mushroom Placement w/ Tank Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTrav13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Guys,
I have a 29 gallon reef tank. I'm using: Lighting:
24" Nova Extreme 4x24watt (5 Months Old 3/7/11)
T5HO 2-10k/2-460nm actinics
96w total wattage
with a coralife cp750 powerhead

Since the coralife is pumpin out 750 an hour, I have a pretty high flow rate in the tank. I know mushrooms like low to flow rate and low lighting but as you can see I have pretty high of both. Would they be better in the substrate with the high flow rate and lower lighting or lower flow rate with higher lighting place closer to the top of the tank. I have my powerhead pointing towards the glass so it's not too too heavy but there's still a pretty high flow. I'm really looking for them to proliferate so I can get a little colony going and I'm wondering where the best place to put them would be!

The 1st pic is of my entire tank
The 2nd is my powerhead placement which is right under the bakpak
The 3rd is the direction of flow - the mushrooms are to the right of the pagora
the 4th is the two mushrooms.

Attachments

• 263.jpg
    263.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 227
  • 264.jpg
    264.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 234
  • 265.jpg
    265.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 266.jpg
    266.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 243
They seem kinda high up to me, but who knows... they might end up liking it there. My advice is to put them where you want them to be, and cross your fingers that they like it there. If the flow is too much for them, they'll eventually release their foot from the rock and go floating around your tank. At that point, you can put it somewhere else. Regardless of whether they like the spot or not, they will wander and leave a trail of baby mushrooms in their wake. Eventually you'll have a colony wherever they are happiest.

Tank looks great! Only problem is if the mushrooms do release, make sure you don't have any thing they can get sucked up into.

Thanks for the comments guys!
Oh, and Prettyfishies, those Kenya Trees will multiply like you wouldn't believe. They are the hardiest coral I've ever come across. I have a picture of a branch that broke off and attached itself to my sea cucumber! They can almost be too easy to keep sometimes. Just be careful they don't end up everywhere...then you'll have a kenya tree forest!

Back
Top Bottom