mushrooms ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first part of your question cannot be answered really, there are too many variables, water quality, lighting, type of mushroom etc.

If you wanted to divide them, you can frag them yourself. Or you wait until they do it on their own.

my water params are ...
calcium 400
phosphate 0.4
ph 8.0
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
hyd 1.025
salinity 34
I have 2 coralife 50/50 mini compacts on a 10g.
I have 2 little shrooms that I bought about 5 days ago. and 2 days ago they started what I call stretching. I went out to a few lfs and asked them just to get their opinion one said that they are hungry looking for food so she said I needed some cube food. The place that I bought them from said it sounds like they are multiplying. and that I shouldnt feed them the cube food that they needed kent marine phytoplex. Which by reading the bottles I thought the zooplex would be better. everything that I have read on them says that you can supplement their diet with plankton and micro foods. I just wanted to find out why they are stretching and what it looks like when they are multiplying?
Thanx

they multiply by moving... When they move on the LR they leave a small piece behind and the grows into a new shroon. Some types can split, one becomes 2.
Feed a shroon cube food?? Find a new LFS. They will get most of what they need from good lighting and water changes. I feed phytoplankton to my tank also.
Shroons will be small one day and open up big the next and anywhere in the middle, mine are really never the same.

These are from letting them do it themselves with a little help from Kent`s Coral accell

Attachments

• 000_0033_997.jpg
    000_0033_997.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 46
melosu58, are you going for a record with that pic?? The record will be how many different posts can I post the same pic in and still have it pertain to the topic :D :D
I think your on 3 posts now?? or is it 4

I love my shrooms. Sorry about the pics. Sometimes a pic is better than a mouthful of words. Sorry. :wink:

My green mushroom coloney looks a lot like your red one. Very pretty. I dont know what you mean by stretching if you mean opening up thats just part of what they do. I havent fed mine anything.

nothing to be sorry about.. I was making a joke.. I love shroons also.. I just got 6 loose purple ones from a friend and they finally mounted themselves on some rubble. They have great color and are easy to care for.

Thanx all for the replies. I have 2 different kinds I have I think a blue one it is purple and blue it came on a piece of rock with about 3 little shrooms on it. they each have their own little stem. Will the whole stem move? They will swell up real big stem and all and then close a little and then go back to normal. Thats what I called stretching. The other one I have is kind of purple with bright green spots on it. It is a single shroom with like a bubble foot. It will stretch its little bubble foot up and out. I love watching these little buggers. They do this little stretch thing in a matter of five minutes and then all back to normal until night time then they go to sleep. It makes my day to wake up and see what they are up too. What is really funny is that they are now in my dreams. I have dreams of the little things stretching all over the place. lol! Also can they be placed directly on the sand bed?
again
thanx guys/gals
PS Melosu58 How long did it take for them to multiply.
BTW great pic!

I have soem mushrooms and had many of the same questions. This post has helped a lot. However I still don't knwo what a good timefram is for mushrooms to multiply. 1 week, 2 weeks a month??? What is a good guesstimate?

I also finally had some sucess direct feeding my bubble coral. I cut a smal lpiece of raw shrip and put it right near it's mouth after th lights were off for a little while. It actually sort of held on to the piece and it moved it into the mouth cavity.

I had a few little pieces of shrimp left so I placed them on the top of 3 of my mushrooms. Soon afterward the mushroom currled up and cupped the piece of shrimp like a venus fly trap. I am guesign that it was eatign the shrip but I don't know for sure. Is thsi and ok thing to do?

It is not needed to direct feed them. I could never get away with that anyway because the fish would take it from them.

melosu is a mushroom junkie. :lol: As stated earlier is it entirely dependant on your tank. In my tank a 10 polyp rock will double to 20 in about 1.5-2 months on its own.

Back
Top Bottom