Mushrooms spread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bckane

Aquarium Advice Freak
How can I get my mushrooms to spread.? I have about 18shrooms on one rock. Will they fall off and grow somewhere else.? Here is a photo:
Mushrooms.jpg

Cut some off at the base and move elsewhere. They will grow back from what I have been told.

slide the blades of a clean, oil free pair of scissors under a few selected mushroom heads and snip 'em off.

Catch the heads as they float off and then hold them in your hand (underwater of course..preferably with latex gloves on)

Now take your scissors and cut each shroom into quarters, making sure to cut across the center (do this because a piece of the center needs to be included in each piece)

Now you can either let them float away onto the substrate where they can grow, or take some bridal veil or fine netting and secure the new little pieces to a rock of your choice.

The stump of the shrooms you cut off will grow back......

Plus each one of the quarters will grow into a new shroom. :)

Can someone tell me what types of mushrooms these are? And where I can find some? I'm having trouble figuring this part out...

I have these same shrooms in my tank. When they get crowded they detach from the rock and float around till they land in a new spot. I probably have 10 or 12 that have relocated and new ones have taken their old place. I have had mine for about 8 months.

Cut into little pieces seems like a lot of work to me..... After you cut them off the rock spear them with a tooth pick close to the center but not in it and then put the end of the TP into a hole on the LR then push the shroons down till it touches the LR. After a week or so it should attach, then remove the TP. They will also spread on there own over time. I started with 3 shroons on a rock which soon spread to 30-40.......

I just tried to snip and quarter some of mine. I used bridal veil and secured them to a rock. A week later....I got 8 pieces of jelly on a rock...lol. But my yellow finger gorg I fragged is doing awsome...it's already starting to branch.

The reason your shrooms turned to mush is probably because you hads the wedding vail on there too tight. Just loosen it up a bit so the shrooms can move just a little and you should be fine. Also make sure that when you cut the shrooms that each piece has a part of the center on it and they should grow well.

Thanks,
Josh

Thanks...I was going to try again next week....I've got plenty of shrooms to experiment with. All of the pieces had part of the center and they could move around under the veil. Maybe I just put them in a bad spot. Had them in a low flow/med light area.

Back
Top Bottom