Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
thanks mike i cant wait either but it may be while tho. my plans are first get my salt a bucket of petco premium salt for 45 dollars makes 150 gal put a few pounds of rock from my other tank in it with the new saltwater one dead shrimp let it cycle for a month while i let my diy rock soak outside add my diy rock meanwhile order my dry agronite sand offline once my founds get back up the cycling will help take time anyways once i get the sand and tank is cycled i will add my sand wait a few days and then add a damsel its going to be a while but i am taking my time for both the tank and my wallet as i was out of work for a while and now i have bought the tank lol i will take some pics of it once i get it home better pics than the ones before

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am glad to see another build thread. Can't wait to see it up and running.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i dont think any of us can wait, i am so anxious to get started on this project but there is much to be done to get it going.
special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
is back to save the day!

**** killlllaaa 120lbs of sand is a ton!!
Old 09-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol i know there is some sand at petco i saw it today its ten pound bags for eight dollars it says from ocean it looks like beach sand to me its real fine i had some in my 29 gal tank once i dont know if i did something wrong but it got filthy fast mind ya i had nothing to sift my sand and no cleaning crew in it at all and its water changes came from old water from my reef tanks water change
Old 09-18-2009, 11:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok guys the name of that sand is natures ocean marine white sand its very very fine i like the looks of it when its clean ya think if i add a clean up crew this would do good in the 125?
Old 09-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

okay, my one thought on the sand: imagine if you got a sand sifter, and it started doing its ting. the smaller the sand particles, the more of a sandstorm that it will create.

also, the reason that you had a hard time keeping it clean was that because it was so white that it just couldnt stay clean, and also because you had no clean up crew. with all of the algae and stuff in the tank, unless you vaccumed it frequently, had a good clean up crew, and good filtration, you wouldnt get to keep that perfect white color for very long.

also, what lighting is on the tank at the moment? its probably just some stupid standard FW lighting right? but if its not, then you could sell it to help you get some better lighting.

have you thought about what kind of lighting you want?
Old 09-20-2009, 02:03 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well right now the 29 gal tank is being sold all of it but the 125gal came with a home bult wood box with two 20 wat bulbs in it i am adding another two just to add light its going to be a fowlr for a while anyways no high power lights needed but i want lighting for corals like frogspawn hammers anenomes plus myzoas and leathers but anyways build update i got the tank home today and set up in my room we rinsed it while on the trailor got the tank inside that was fun lol (heavy!!!) then i filled it up with water with a water hose from my window doing a leak check i notice a little water on the corner of my stand dripping dried it up and it came back after a while put a paper towel over it with tape so i could check if it was leaking there later today i took it offand everything is dry as a bone i think it was from were the tank was rinsed so right now no leaks here is some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0731.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	20709   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0732.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	20710  

Old 09-20-2009, 02:28 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool, so no leaks. What do you plan on getting first? sand, rock, or all at the same time?
Old 09-20-2009, 02:35 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well first let me mention again i like to make my own diy rocks because i can shape them the way i want and make nice desings but i plan on getting it running with saltwater adding a few pounds of real live rock let it cycle with that while i take a month to make my diy rock for this tank as well as save money for 120 pounds of sand thats going to cost.

Tags
125 gallon, build, build thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com