Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
My 125 build thread :)

So here it is i finally get to make a 125 build thread I have been selling off items to raise money for the tank ps2 psp and a older smaller tank which i cant afford three tanks anyways lol but i finally purchased a 125 gal tank from a seller on craigslist for $300 and now i am proud to announce my 125 build it will temp be a fowlr but will eventually be a reef after a few years i am going to be going green with this tank as i will be making most of my rock to help save the oceans i will be using the recipe i used on my last batch which is in my 55 as a cave and arch most of the rock in the 125 will be diy some will be real lr that i will add slowly but for now i am glad to show you the picture first picture i have seen of the tank it was set up as a fw tank with a pleco in it before. this pic is off craigslist. i will be taking a long time on the build of this tank but i do hope to get it cycling with a few pounds of live rock and a sand bed asap
Attached Images

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

Congrats!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
is back to save the day!

Yeah congrats. Im excited for you. 125G is pretty big. Good luck and i will follow!
Old 09-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Fish R friends, not food!

Congrats man, thats wicked awesome!!!
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thank all of you for your congrats they are highly appreciated i cant wait to get started on this build but it does look like it will be a while before i can get started i have to save money up for my sand bed and salt to start the tank in mean time i will be making my diy rock that takes about a month in the meantime unless i acquire a bucket of salt i may use it as a temp freshwater tank just so i can say its in use with a chiclid in it but if i get the salt i will put a few pounds of rock in it from my other tank and put a damsel in it and once its ran a little longer maybe the bicolor angel from my reef tank and or the yellow tang the tank currently has pool filter sand as a substrate i am undecided if i can use this or not roka said i could but it may hurt any inverts i put in which i guessi could use that sand as long as i changed it later.
special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
is back to save the day!

Well it sounds like you know what you want to do. Only thing i wouldn't do IMO, is keep the tank occupied with another fish. You would have to remove the fish, and if you wanted to be super safe.. drain all the water out and fill it back up. Just seems kind of pointless idk. Also, i would ditch the PFS if your doing SW because roka is right. I haven't even heard once of someone using PFS in their SW tanks lol. Just get dry aragonite. Its worth it.

Don't forget that the bicolor angel is a "Reef With Caution" fish. It has been known to munch on corals, and other times they leave coral alone. But it doesn't really matter because even if today its not eating any of your coral.. there's no telling if it will the next. Yellow tang is definitely good. But i would think about the angel and your coral.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well like i said it would be a while before it went to reef cant afford the light system lol and thats why i am thinking on putting the angel in there to keep him away from the coral then when it goes to reef he can either be taken to the store or put in the 55 make sense? it does to me but i a crazy guy lol hey i have some sand i got from the ocean a while back how would that do in there or would it be a risky move?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
is back to save the day!

I understand completely what your saying, i just don't see the point in it. But anyways...

How long have you had the sand for? Is it wet, dry? Where has it been sitting for all this time, assuming you haven't used it for anything else.. And if you have, what have you used it for?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i will keep everyone posted i am searching for the best possible price on sand for this tank right now looking for 120 pounds
Old 09-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Congrats on the new tank. Cant wait to see it go up.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
125 gallon, build, build thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com