My 125 build thread :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
So here it is i finally get to make a 125 build thread :) I have been selling off items to raise money for the tank ps2 psp and a older smaller tank which i cant afford three tanks anyways lol :) but i finally purchased a 125 gal tank from a seller on craigslist for $300 and now i am proud to announce my 125 build :) it will temp be a fowlr but will eventually be a reef after a few years :) i am going to be going green with this tank as i will be making most of my rock to help save the oceans i will be using the recipe i used on my last batch which is in my 55 as a cave and arch most of the rock in the 125 will be diy some will be real lr that i will add slowly but for now i am glad to show you the picture first picture i have seen of the tank :) it was set up as a fw tank with a pleco in it before. this pic is off craigslist. i will be taking a long time on the build of this tank but i do hope to get it cycling with a few pounds of live rock and a sand bed asap :)

Attachments

• 3n53k33me5Qc5S85Ra99b2dbd9051af271072.jpg
    3n53k33me5Qc5S85Ra99b2dbd9051af271072.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 261
  • 3na3k73me5O75P35Sa99b67af7701e1aa1b96.jpg
    3na3k73me5O75P35Sa99b67af7701e1aa1b96.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 295
Yeah congrats. Im excited for you. 125G is pretty big. Good luck and i will follow!

thank all of you for your congrats :) they are highly appreciated i cant wait to get started on this build:) but it does look like it will be a while before i can get started i have to save money up for my sand bed and salt to start the tank in mean time i will be making my diy rock that takes about a month in the meantime unless i acquire a bucket of salt i may use it as a temp freshwater tank just so i can say its in use with a chiclid in it but if i get the salt i will put a few pounds of rock in it from my other tank and put a damsel in it and once its ran a little longer maybe the bicolor angel from my reef tank and or the yellow tang :) the tank currently has pool filter sand as a substrate i am undecided if i can use this or not roka said i could but it may hurt any inverts i put in which i guessi could use that sand as long as i changed it later.

Well it sounds like you know what you want to do. Only thing i wouldn't do IMO, is keep the tank occupied with another fish. You would have to remove the fish, and if you wanted to be super safe.. drain all the water out and fill it back up. Just seems kind of pointless idk. Also, i would ditch the PFS if your doing SW because roka is right. I haven't even heard once of someone using PFS in their SW tanks lol. Just get dry aragonite. Its worth it.

Don't forget that the bicolor angel is a "Reef With Caution" fish. It has been known to munch on corals, and other times they leave coral alone. But it doesn't really matter because even if today its not eating any of your coral.. there's no telling if it will the next. Yellow tang is definitely good. But i would think about the angel and your coral. :)

well like i said it would be a while before it went to reef :) cant afford the light system lol :) and thats why i am thinking on putting the angel in there to keep him away from the coral then when it goes to reef he can either be taken to the store or put in the 55 :) make sense? it does to me but i a crazy guy lol hey i have some sand i got from the ocean a while back how would that do in there or would it be a risky move?

I understand completely what your saying, i just don't see the point in it. But anyways...

How long have you had the sand for? Is it wet, dry? Where has it been sitting for all this time, assuming you haven't used it for anything else.. And if you have, what have you used it for?

thanks mike i cant wait either but it may be while tho. my plans are first get my salt a bucket of petco premium salt for 45 dollars makes 150 gal put a few pounds of rock from my other tank in it with the new saltwater one dead shrimp let it cycle for a month while i let my diy rock soak outside add my diy rock meanwhile order my dry agronite sand offline once my founds get back up the cycling will help take time anyways once i get the sand and tank is cycled i will add my sand wait a few days and then add a damsel :) its going to be a while but i am taking my time for both the tank and my wallet as i was out of work for a while and now i have bought the tank lol i will take some pics of it once i get it home better pics than the ones before

I am glad to see another build thread. Can't wait to see it up and running.

lol i know there is some sand at petco i saw it today its ten pound bags for eight dollars it says from ocean it looks like beach sand to me its real fine i had some in my 29 gal tank once i dont know if i did something wrong but it got filthy fast mind ya i had nothing to sift my sand and no cleaning crew in it at all and its water changes came from old water from my reef tanks water change

Ok guys the name of that sand is natures ocean marine white sand its very very fine i like the looks of it when its clean ya think if i add a clean up crew this would do good in the 125?

okay, my one thought on the sand: imagine if you got a sand sifter, and it started doing its ting. the smaller the sand particles, the more of a sandstorm that it will create.

also, the reason that you had a hard time keeping it clean was that because it was so white that it just couldnt stay clean, and also because you had no clean up crew. with all of the algae and stuff in the tank, unless you vaccumed it frequently, had a good clean up crew, and good filtration, you wouldnt get to keep that perfect white color for very long.

also, what lighting is on the tank at the moment? its probably just some stupid standard FW lighting right? but if its not, then you could sell it to help you get some better lighting.

have you thought about what kind of lighting you want?

well right now the 29 gal tank is being sold all of it but the 125gal came with a home bult wood box with two 20 wat bulbs in it i am adding another two just to add light its going to be a fowlr for a while anyways no high power lights needed but i want lighting for corals like frogspawn hammers anenomes plus myzoas and leathers but anyways build update i got the tank home today and set up in my room we rinsed it while on the trailor got the tank inside that was fun lol (heavy!!!) then i filled it up with water with a water hose from my window doing a leak check i notice a little water on the corner of my stand dripping dried it up and it came back after a while put a paper towel over it with tape so i could check if it was leaking there later today i took it offand everything is dry as a bone i think it was from were the tank was rinsed so right now no leaks :) here is some pics

Attachments

• 101_0731.jpg
    101_0731.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 101_0732.jpg
    101_0732.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 80
Cool, so no leaks. What do you plan on getting first? sand, rock, or all at the same time?

well first let me mention again i like to make my own diy rocks because i can shape them the way i want and make nice desings but i plan on getting it running with saltwater adding a few pounds of real live rock let it cycle with that while i take a month to make my diy rock for this tank as well as save money for 120 pounds of sand thats going to cost.

Back
Top Bottom