Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Goodluck! I didnt' have anyluck with my tank breds hosting it took a wild pair to encourage them. Hows the nem? Looking better? Opening up some more?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes it's looking much better. It does have a small spot on it's outer edge that is like a brownish color. Wondering if it was injured somehow so I'm keeping a close eye on it. I wouldn't think that the clown would have injured it? I was told that I had MH lights. Maybe they thought I had an HQI but I learned that I have flourescents. Now I'm worried I don't have enough light for it. If The nem needed more light wouldnt it move to get more? It's weird because he's settled under a base Rock and really doesn't get much direct light because of an overhang above him. I've thought about moving him but I'm afraid he'll wander too much and sting some of my new frags. I really want to upload some pics here but I can't figure out how to do it. I have them all on my pc but getting them to upload is the problem.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can use a site like photo bucket and just post the link in your post.

The nem should move to where it wants to be, I wouldnt try to force him off a rock to move him. You may have a lighting issue, but its hard to say without seeing the nem. He may be ok in there.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's the link to some recent pics. hope it works... Had a friend that had to get rid of her 10 gal. and sold me her two mated ocellaris's. Surprisingly theyre getting along with the other clown! Nem still looks bad in his one spot. Not sure if you can see it real well but theres some before and after photos of him from hosting.. seems like the cleaner shrimp keeps picking at his tentacles. Is this possible-I mean could he be making this "injury" worse? really considering returning him to LFS. this is getting stressful! I'll get more photos posted tomorrow. Just put some quick ones together to see if this works...fyi these were taken from my phone so not sure how the quality will be either. hope you enjoy!
Pictures by jlhbiocube - Photobucket
Old 08-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If he's stressing you out you should return him if you can. Mine was more trouble than it was worth so I brought it back after a few months.

Glad the clowns are getting along, but keep an eye on them.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Carey, Were you able to look at the pics?
Today the nem was closed up all day. Not sure if hes just getting ready to go through his weekly cycle or if hes really not happy. keeping an eye on him. I really want it to work out so im trying not to worry about him because more than likely im overreacting. Just keeping a close eye on him and if anything new or weird happens then im pulling him. like you said.it just not worth it. Clowns are now being more agressive with the little guy. thinking im gonna have to pull him. Being a mated pair im highly doubting they'll accept him....Im so ready for a bigger tank! Is it just me or is a nano a lot more work than a large aquarium? If i left this tank alone for 4 days it would be a disaster! BTW would you mind sharing your lighting schedule? im on 10 hours right now with 1/2 hour of actinic beginning and end. Moon light for 4 hours. Im getting a ton of green algae growth and the snails are having a hard time keeping up so im cleaning every other day as well as dosing and topoffs. Have also had a problem with temp. was up to 82 and opened the lids now im 77-78 but i get a ton of evaporation. Any other tips besides buying a $400 chiller? Sorry for all the Questions at once! thank you!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I also run a hot tank unless I keep the front lid open, so thats usually what I do. I run my lights, whites on at 10 am blues on at 9am. Then the whites go off at 8 and the blues off at 9pm. I dont run my moonlights, but 4 hours should be fine.

Yeah, it is harder to run a small tank, believe it or not I spend less time on my 125g than I do on my 4g! LOL

It's not unexpected that the clowns are very accepting of another clown, kinda why you dont add more than 2. Keep a close eye on them, they can be viscious!

The nem might just be "pooping" or something like that, they shrink up like that when they do. BUT again, not sure if your lights are enough for him.
From the pictures he looks fine, a little white but that may be because of the lighting. he is in an odd location though, under the rock kinda. Not sure what he is trying to do there. lol
Old 08-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea I really don't know why he's under that rock. That's why I was thinking of moving him. He open back up through the night but he really looks bad. Hardly inflated, most tentacles are really short, brown at the one spot on his left side and he keeps it tucked in there 24/7. I notice the cleaner shrimp won't leave him alone, he stays on him all the time and frequently picks at the tentacles... I couldn't see the shrimp trying to eat the nem, but what do you think is going on. Is it possible I have a nutrient problem? Could a high or low level of mag or strontium or iodine or another trace element in the additive I'm using called reef code A and reef code B be hurting him? I can't see what else could be the issue.. LFS has only been testing the norm; cal, alk, phosphates, nitrates, nitrites, salinity, and ph. All is well according to them and I've been keeping a good regiment since the beginning. Original LFS tested everything for $5 but he's 50 miles away but he's much much better. He told me that I should add all elements separately rather than using these combo mixtures. I didn't do it cuz it would cost me a lot more upwards to $120 at first and then $50 here and there throughout the year. Guess I learned going cheep always catches up with you. What do you think though? Could this be my problem?thanks again!
Old 08-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yesterday i decided i was going to redo my entire tank....I added 5 lbs of live sand, 3 lbs of fiji rock, rearranged the rockwork, and did a 40% waterchange... The nem looks to be doing better. I Had the water tested yesterday and phosphates were high. Water change should have taken care of it..Took before and after photos-check them out! I think its much better! I have a 1-2" sandbed across the whole floor with Rocks placed on top. The way it is arranged i have more area exposed to the light and i was able to add rock and also gained visual space and have more space for coral... Im also able to clean easier and im thinking i may be able to house a starfish and/or blenny or another goby(if clowns permit. lol).. The small clown hides back in his new cave in the back but before i moved the rocwork he was hosting the nem heavily for protection from the other clowns..hes not beat up at all...they dont seem to really be biting him. lemme know what you think about the new setup. Any advice will be appreciated!Biocube 2 pictures by jlhbiocube - Photobucket

Tags
bio, biocube, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com