Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Smile My 29 biocube questions

I just recently purchased a Green bubble anemone and was wondering if I have enough light. My lights are 10,000k 36 watt coral life MH, and 36 watt actinic. I'm running them 10 hours minus 30 minutes beginning and end of cycle of actinic. Anemone is settled and hasn't moved for 3 days on a baserock and has to stretch out from underneath the upper rock to get to the light. I guess if he wasn't happy with the light he'd move. He looks great though! He freaked me out yesterday when he went through his expelling waste cycle and appeared to be dying but within a few hours he was back to normal and looking better than ever! My maroon clown however runs the side of the tank staying mostly at the surface and at night sleeps at the surface constantly swimming! This has been going on for 3 days now and he hasn't even tried to look at the rest of the tank or even the anemone. Need advice on this. One other thing, my tank is loaded with copepods and they're quickly multiplying! Any good fish recommendations to keep them in check? The diamond watchman goby is eating the **** out of them but it seems there just multiplying much faster! I went from a week ago adding a second dose of them and seeing one or two on the back part of the tank to now thousands of them all over the glass and the grateful goby is all day sucking the off the glass and rocks. Any info will help!

Old 07-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Clowns don't automatically host a nem, it's pretty much hit or miss. I had a nem and my clowns couldnt care less. They also can host corals like mine did instead.

i have a 29g cube as well and to be honest I wouldnt put a nem in there, I'd be too worried about the lighting. Its good for most basic corals but I'm not sure theres a enough zing for higher light creatures.

As far as the pods, why are you adding them? Do you have a fuge setup for the tank? The pods will appear in cycles as well, sometimes i swear i have a million of them and then the population goes back down to normal. It seems to spike every couple weeks in my 125g.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Clowns don't automatically host a nem, it's pretty much hit or miss. I had a nem and my clowns couldnt care less. They also can host corals like mine did instead.

i have a 29g cube as well and to be honest I wouldnt put a nem in there, I'd be too worried about the lighting. Its good for most basic corals but I'm not sure theres a enough zing for higher light creatures.

As far as the pods, why are you adding them? Do you have a fuge setup for the tank? The pods will appear in cycles as well, sometimes i swear i have a million of them and then the population goes back down to normal. It seems to spike every couple weeks in my 125g.
I would be fine with the clown not hosting the nem but he's just acting crazy constantly running the sides of the tank and steadily swimming into the top corner of the tank when lights go out. I guess I'm gonna see how it goes with the nem, if he seems too stressed or starts dying or closing up a lot I'll return him to LFS.

As for the copepods, I have had a refugium running for about 2 months now and it seemed to be low on pods so I dosed it again. Then they blew up but I guess not much to worry about. Like you said they'll probably decrease in population on they're own. Goby seems to be happy eating the **** out if them! Will the clown eat them as well? I am rethinking the whole anemone thing! It's pretty stressful! I dread waking up in the morning to a destroyed tank and dead anemone.
Thanks for sharing info!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The stress of what could happen with the nem is why I returned mine to the lfs. lol I couldnt bear the worry anymore.

My clowns right now are body surfing back and forth intot he top corners of my tank, theya are known to be kinda kooky acting. hehe...I wouldnt worry too much about them. my current clowns sleep unpside down in a corner my b&w's used to sleep on the sand. weird little guys they are I tell ya
Old 07-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Kooky lol you even make it sound comforting thats why you are one of the best (carey)
Old 07-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol yea youve been awesome Carey! Thanks for answering so quickly and knowledgeably even on all my past posts! I fed the nem yesterday(half a silverside) and he's super happy now! I've never seen him look so good! What kind of corals do the clowns like? Need suggestions.... As for Nemo, hopefully he gets better acclimated to the tank soon and maybe checks out the nem. Can it just take longer for clowns to host them or is this clown pretty much not going to do it? I got him 4 days ago. Also, do clowns eat copepods?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My clowns took about 4 months to host my elegance coral. I had tank bred ORA b&w's and a pair of wild misbar clowns, but it took the wild ones to teach the tank ones how to host. lol It could take some time for it to happen.

As far as corals they host, almost anything flowy will do for them. But keep in mind they can host a coral to near death as mine did and they can injure themselves with any hard parts of the coral.

it's an awesome thing to watch them host something I have to say, but sometimes it doesnt work out for the coral or the fish.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes clowns do eat pods you can try the pic trick with your clown you put a pic of a clown hosting a nem on the end of your tank for around a week some clowns never host nems though. it seems like it's hit or miss with them

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks guys! Good to know! Exciting news! The clown is checking out the anemone right now! Hasn't gone in yet but this is a great sign! Thanks again for all the info!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update: I bought another maroon clown last weekend; a week after I bought the first clown and anemone. The new clown went straight for the anemone as soon as I dropped him in. Then he went after my first clown and beat him up pretty bad so I returned the poor guy to the LFS. Now, the new clown has been in the anemone non-stop and I've noticed that many of the tentacles are really more like stubs now. Is this a bad sign? Are these "stubs" new tentacles growing or does this mean I may have to separate the clown from him? Overall it seems like the nem is happy. I'm feeding him half a silverside twice a week. I think he's growing but he doesn't seem to open up all the way, could the clown be stressing him out?

>> Just returned the maroon clown to LFS for a trade on a small ocellaris that is tank raised but just happened to be hosting an anemone! Hopefully this will work out and I'll still be able to add another fish of choice to the mix in the future. Nem is coming back slowly but surely...

Tags
bio, biocube, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com