Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
power heads are on both sides of the tank as far as i can see. you won't lose fish to them unless they are sick from the time you put them in.
koralias ARE power heads.
Oh yea I know I was just guessing he was referring to the ones that suck with the tubes.
I got another question for you though. I did the 15 gallon water change and just tested the water and everything seems to have gotten worse. PH is only 7.4ish the nitrite is 1.0, the nitrate is around 5.0 and the ammonia is 0.50. Do I need to do anything to the media in my AC70. I also have some PH buffer, or should I just wait since the water change was done only this morning? Thanks

Old 01-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If the alk is of it can affect the ph. And your protein skimmer is one of the worst on the market. I had one of those prices of junk. Soon as you finally get the stupid thing adjusted right your gonna have to clean it. It's way more hassle then it's worth. The first chance you have get something better. And I seen in the pic that there was no valve on the air hose. It will never work if it's wide open like that. I'm guessing that's the sea clone 100? Also I agree with mister x. Do weekly water changes, and you can get away without the skimmer at all. make sure not to over feed tho

Old 01-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqasnatch View Post
If the alk is of it can affect the ph. And your protein skimmer is one of the worst on the market. I had one of those prices of junk. Soon as you finally get the stupid thing adjusted right your gonna have to clean it. It's way more hassle then it's worth. The first chance you have get something better. And I seen in the pic that there was no valve on the air hose. It will never work if it's wide open like that.
Yea the protein skimmer is not even plugged in, I have that air hose tied in a kinda loose knot that is why you can't see the valve. So do you think it would be wise to go ahead and had some PH buffer?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can't hurt. There,s nothing in there yet. Just add a little at a time and monitor it.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

There is a royal gramma in there that I just got (because before the water change PH seemed good) I'll go ahead and had some, thanks
Old 01-30-2011, 12:30 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
power heads are on both sides of the tank as far as i can see. you won't lose fish to them unless they are sick from the time you put them in.
koralias ARE power heads.
I just meant the way that type of PH takes in water can be dangerous if fish get to close. Very small intake that fish can get suctioned to.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:22 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Added Ph buffer and it went from the 7.4 to 8.7. I'll check it in the morning to see if there is any change if not I'll look into dropping it some
Old 01-30-2011, 01:28 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

wow
Old 01-30-2011, 01:41 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
how are you mixing up salt water to make a water change? are you mixing it with a power head or something turbulent? the best way is to mix water overnight, so that everytrhing has time to mix properly and fully, and the ph is stable. also, aim one of those power heads towards the surface and don't bother adding PH buffer.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:49 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
how are you mixing up salt water to make a water change? are you mixing it with a power head or something turbulent? the best way is to mix water overnight, so that everytrhing has time to mix properly and fully, and the ph is stable. also, aim one of those power heads towards the surface and don't bother adding PH buffer.
I got it already mixed from the LFS from the hose they have setup there. I'll turn a power head up toward the top. I already added the buffer and it jumped a little high (DARN IT!) Thanks I'll check PH in morning and see how it is.

Tags
29 gallon, 29 gallon reef, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com