My 29 Gallon reef build (With some help)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just.A.Bit.Salty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone I posted a little ago about this in my introduction section but has I began to make some process I want to stay up to date. (I am new here so hopefully the pictures upload right:confused:)

So it's 29 gallons and has been set up for two weeks. I have about 20 pounds of LR and 30 pounds of LS. I will be adding some more LR throughout the week. I did borrow some mollies from my daughters freshwater tank to help the cycle, I've had my ammonia spike and they are going back in her tank tomorrow. I know I should have just stayed away from cycling with live fish but I swear these mollies could live happy in a toilet bowl. There are three power heads, one 600 one 400 and not sure what the third was but it is in and being moved around to check for any "dead spots". The light is just the stock one that came with the tank( I do want to make this a reef so I will be upgrading to maybe some T5 HO any thoughts welcome) The HOB filter is a AC70, then a HOB protein skimmer by Instant ocean.

I have found a overflow for 30 bucks and was looking into making my own sump from a 20 gallon glass tank. I have already found some good threads for that on this site:). Is it weird to have a 20 gallon sump for a 29 gallon tank? I've never done a tank this small. Oh and the only other things in there are about 7 different snails. The last I checked that water it was a PH of 7.8(low) a little ammonia and some nitrite but my protein skimmer was not hooked up. I will be doing a good size water change tomorrow and hoping to get two maroon clowns in the tank soon.

So anywho.. anything you guys see wrong right off the bat or notice I should change please just let me know. Also any suggestions for the sump idea and could the skimmer I have go in the sump? Thanks everyone :king:

Ps I know the cords in the back are a huge mess but I will be cleaning that up...

Attachments

• IMG_1933.jpg
    IMG_1933.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
i don't think you should go with maroon clowns. they get about 5" and are not going to like anything else you put in the tank.
try some perculas or oscellaris.
that's 20 pounds of live rock? did you see the guy weigh it? they must be quite dense.
as for lighting, what are the dimensions of the tank? can you fit a 36" fixture over it?
i am wondering about that skimmer. do you have it running now? is it pulling anything out of the water? usually i would suggest to just do weekly water changes and skip a skimmer for a tank that size.
one last thing i noticed- you need a background to hide that stuff in the back. a plain blue or black one will be fine.

i don't think you should go with maroon clowns. they get about 5" and are not going to like anything else you put in the tank.
try some perculas or oscellaris.
that's 20 pounds of live rock? did you see the guy weigh it? they must be quite dense.
as for lighting, what are the dimensions of the tank? can you fit a 36" fixture over it?
i am wondering about that skimmer. do you have it running now? is it pulling anything out of the water? usually i would suggest to just do weekly water changes and skip a skimmer for a tank that size.
one last thing i noticed- you need a background to hide that stuff in the back. a plain blue or black one will be fine.

Sucks but The length is only 24" so a 36" would be to big. Actually my wife got the rock for me so who knows lol but to be fair it does like bigger than it actually is in the picture. The skimmer has only been on for a couple hours so I can't be sure yet but I will let you know. I know the back looks like a giant mess right now most likely tomorrow I'll pick up something for it. Thanks:)

That rock does look a little solid. Like my florida rock. Does it have shells in it?

You are still going to need an ammonia source until you put a fish in.

That rock does look a little solid. Like my florida rock. Does it have shells in it?

You are still going to need an ammonia source until you put a fish in.

From what I see there are no shells in it. I had some mollies in the tank for about two weeks for my ammonia and I moved them back out to their old tank today. In about a hour I'll be going to the LFS to pick up so water for a change then hopefully will be adding my first salt fish to the tank.

That light looks perfect, Hopefully on Friday(payday) I can put the order in for it, thanks.

Update for today....Went to the LFS and bought 15 gallons of water and preformed a water change. Went to another LFS later on and found out everything in the entire store was half off:D. I bought a royal gramma and a scooter blenny for 11 bucks. Put them in the tank and all going well for now. Put some new pictures of the fish up soon.

Are those power heads in there? If so I feel like they need some sort of filter on that kind or your running the risk of loosing fish to them.

Are those power heads in there? If so I feel like they need some sort of filter on that kind or your running the risk of loosing fish to them.

Yes you are correct, the two on the left are power heads. I was considering putting something around them put I figured it just take up even more space so I'm going to just get rid of them soon to replace them with the one like the one on my right side of the tank a Koralia. Thanks

power heads are on both sides of the tank as far as i can see. you won't lose fish to them unless they are sick from the time you put them in.
koralias ARE power heads.

power heads are on both sides of the tank as far as i can see. you won't lose fish to them unless they are sick from the time you put them in.

Oh yea I know I was just guessing he was referring to the ones that suck with the tubes.
I got another question for you though. I did the 15 gallon water change and just tested the water and everything seems to have gotten worse. PH is only 7.4ish the nitrite is 1.0, the nitrate is around 5.0 and the ammonia is 0.50. Do I need to do anything to the media in my AC70. I also have some PH buffer, or should I just wait since the water change was done only this morning? Thanks

If the alk is of it can affect the ph. And your protein skimmer is one of the worst on the market. I had one of those prices of junk. Soon as you finally get the stupid thing adjusted right your gonna have to clean it. It's way more hassle then it's worth. The first chance you have get something better. And I seen in the pic that there was no valve on the air hose. It will never work if it's wide open like that. I'm guessing that's the sea clone 100? Also I agree with mister x. Do weekly water changes, and you can get away without the skimmer at all. make sure not to over feed tho

If the alk is of it can affect the ph. And your protein skimmer is one of the worst on the market. I had one of those prices of junk. Soon as you finally get the stupid thing adjusted right your gonna have to clean it. It's way more hassle then it's worth. The first chance you have get something better. And I seen in the pic that there was no valve on the air hose. It will never work if it's wide open like that.

Yea the protein skimmer is not even plugged in, I have that air hose tied in a kinda loose knot that is why you can't see the valve. So do you think it would be wise to go ahead and had some PH buffer?

There is a royal gramma in there that I just got (because before the water change PH seemed good) I'll go ahead and had some, thanks

I just meant the way that type of PH takes in water can be dangerous if fish get to close. Very small intake that fish can get suctioned to.

Added Ph buffer and it went from the 7.4 to 8.7. I'll check it in the morning to see if there is any change if not I'll look into dropping it some:mad:

how are you mixing up salt water to make a water change? are you mixing it with a power head or something turbulent? the best way is to mix water overnight, so that everytrhing has time to mix properly and fully, and the ph is stable. also, aim one of those power heads towards the surface and don't bother adding PH buffer.

how are you mixing up salt water to make a water change? are you mixing it with a power head or something turbulent? the best way is to mix water overnight, so that everytrhing has time to mix properly and fully, and the ph is stable. also, aim one of those power heads towards the surface and don't bother adding PH buffer.

I got it already mixed from the LFS from the hose they have setup there. I'll turn a power head up toward the top. I already added the buffer and it jumped a little high (DARN IT!) Thanks I'll check PH in morning and see how it is.

Back
Top Bottom