My 75 gallon reef journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just thinking there will be no chambers if I do it that way. Wouldnt sand get in the return pump.

oh, sorry I didn't read there would be no chambers. You could use a small plastic tub to put your sand in and set it down in the sump. I've seen it done that way on another thread or youtube. The guy did it that way so that he could remove it at a later date if he needed to.

I think I have seen in done like that now that you say that, except the return pump was in the tub

what will the sand do exactly for a sump? I mean does it play a huge role? Wont I get the most benefit from the live rock.

If its just your average amount of sand, yes LR is more beneficial for the space. Some people use DSB (deep sand bed) designs in their tanks and that will give you a more diverse culture of bacteria.

what will the sand do exactly for a sump? I mean does it play a huge role? Wont I get the most benefit from the live rock.

Sand will DESTORY the impellor on a return pump. no sand. with no baffles a filter sock will do a good job of keeping the micro bubbles down. sand does not go in a sump but it does go in a refugium. 4-6 inches. the anaerobic bacteria break down nitrate into N2 and O2. live rock is perfect for a sump that is the Berlin method.

Actually it gets broken down to N2 and CO2

Last edited:
Started planning my rock setup today. I have about 20lbs of live rock in my 10 gallon that will be added to this. Tell me which one you think looks the best. I really like the island look. keep in my this will probably be a pennisula tank.
img_1148398_0_4fb67dc612fcfb20866d86cf63b40887.jpg
[/IMG]
img_1148398_1_6343154efe071a227a810e323907f014.jpg
[/IMG]
img_1148398_2_33e26b458c7e73d4512120ec506580a0.jpg
[/IMG]
img_1148398_3_c7bb5e1f12a5d9756e20e7ec0bbe8725.jpg
[/IMG]

What is the filter sock for? What does it go on?

when your display empties into your sump the pipe can go into a filter sock. they come in 4" and 7" diameter they are used like a prefilter. They come in 100 and 200 micron. bubbles can't get through them either. they make holders or you can make one out of a piece of acrylic or glass.

Looking at these pictures now I feel like they look to stacked. I will have to do it again and try to make it look more natural.

Back
Top Bottom