My 75 wish list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matman

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i finally got all the equipment for my 75gallon reef tank.

This is what FISH i want to get, let me know if i can add more, or if i need to keep dreaming....

2 Clowns (Not sure which type, but not Ocellaris...maybe tomato or maroon)
1 Tobacco Basslet
1 Purple Tang
1 Powder Blue Tang
1 Spotted Mandarin Dragonet
1 Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish

If you could give me any suggestions that would be great! Thanks!!

Matt

I think 2 tangs in a tank that size is really pushing it. I would pick one, and add it last. There is a good possibility it will outgrow that tank, but you might be ok. I know others will argue.

The lionfish is a bad idea if you want those clowns or basslet. They will basically eat anything they can fit in their mouths. As long as you bought the others and they were bigger than the lionfish to start, you'd be ok.

There are a bunch of other great additions for a 75G. You could go with a dwarf angel like the Coral Beauty or Flame Angel. They are usually ok in reefs, but you do take a chance of them nipping at corals.

Hope that helps. I'm sure others will follow with good advice as well.

tripper

I had a fuzzy dwarf lionfish but had to wean it off of the lfs's feeder guppies. Took me about a month and i got it to eat silversides and mysid shrimp. Cool fish but right after everything was all said and done my damsel decided to have it's fins for an afternoon snack. Be careful of fin nippers with these guys.

Ok here are some other things. The Purple Tang at the LFS where i work has Lateral Line, is this something that will pose as a big problem? I've grown attached to it:)

And with the powder blue I may pass cause i've heard they are very prone to ich and other diseases. We have a small Convict Tang at my LFS that I LOVE, and would like to put in my tank.

As for the fuzzy dwarf lion, , i'll probably pass on that.

This is very exciting, I still have over a month before i set it up!! ITS KILLING ME!!!!

As for the clowns, any secrets on how to get a mated pair? Or any advice in general?

thanks
Matt

The Purple Tang at the LFS where i work has Lateral Line, is this something that will pose as a big problem? I've grown attached to it:)
I would pass, difficult to effect a cure.
And with the powder blue I may pass cause i've heard they are very prone to ich and other diseases.
You can tackle any potential ich problems by putting your new fish into qt for 4 weeks before placing them in your main. Will save you many headaches down the road. :wink:
As for the clowns, any secrets on how to get a mated pair? Or any advice in general?
Would buy them together. Same species from the same tank at the LFS.

most species of clowns will pair up if they havent already... if u get them very young... you will see one of them get bigger than the other.. this will be the female..

Ok so....

I think this will be the final...unless there are still problems

2 Maroon Clowns (I love maroons)
1 Convict Tang
1 Tobacco Basslet
1 Spotted Madarin Dragonet
1 Powder Blue Tang

I realize the tangs will get bigger, but we'll cross that road when we get there :wink:

its all species dependant..

when full grown you can only have one of those tangs IMO..

I'd seriously choose either purple or pbt.. and replace one with a dwarf angel or something...

good luck

50/50 chance of getting a non coral lover.. but i'd recommend not doing the x2 tang thing...

if you are not looking at inverts esp. of the shrimp kind... many hawkfish are intriguing fish...

Although I havent had experience with Basslets, they are very hardy.. and aggressive to smaller fish.. if introducing this along with your gramma you should do this at the same time..

Back
Top Bottom