Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2009, 01:24 AM   #211
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flake View Post
That's disappointing.

My parents pulled the same on me. I paid for my car by selling my 150 year old violin. Saddest day ever. I guess they think giving up a hobby for something will make it more important and you can get back into it later.

I still don't have another violin though... that's a cruel parent trick. Maybe atleast downgrade?
I may just sell alot of stuff I don't use anymore and the tanks I have, I mean its not like I can't get a new tank someday. I did some math and from what I see, I could get around 500 for the tank, stand, sump, pump, ATO, and light. I also may be able to sell my drums for like 400, but I'll have to think that one over.

Oh well, xD I guess everyone was right about aquarium keeping being expensive.

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:30 AM   #212
Aquarium Advice Addict

That rots, sorry to hear the news.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #213
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry about that but my advice is not to give up...if aquariums keeping is your hobby and it makes you happy (like it does for me!) then find some other way and dont let anyone take that away from you!

Good luck though...
Old 08-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #214
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with SB.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #215
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by partypalooza5 View Post
Yea.. They generally have people in the fish department that don't even know FW let alone SW. Every time I go there, the SW fish look pitiful and at Petco it's even worse! I can understand that they are a corporate buisness, but if you're going to do something then do it right!

On another note, yet more bad news.. Tonight my parents :censor:ed at me about money.. again. So looks like I have three options: 1) sell everything aquarium related and re-start when I'm done with college. 2) ignore their and just keep on going with the plan, but I don't want to listen to it anymore.. so I don't know.. and 3) sell everything, buy a car, get a (REAL) job, and earn money to re-buy everything. The problem with that is that everything was either a really good deal or it was luck that I got it for the price I got it.

And everything was going so well..
That really sucks man. My parents are now giving me flack as well saying that all these tanks are going to drive up the electric bill. there saying the same thing to me about selling all my fish and buying a car. If you do end up selling your fish stuff let me know. I will gladly buy it off you.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #216
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
Tanks do place a bit of a hurt on the electric bill. The cost with and without in a small place like an apartment is actually pretty amazing. The car is an amazingly useful trade off, but i'd just hate to see you get out of something you enjoy. Hopefully it won't come to that.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #217
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait430 View Post
Sorry about that but my advice is not to give up...if aquariums keeping is your hobby and it makes you happy (like it does for me!) then find some other way and dont let anyone take that away from you!

Good luck though...
You know you coukd just downsize instead of just throwing it all down the drain if you really want. I might end up doing the same thing because of my parents.

you could skip the 10g.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #218
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hate cars, the only reason I have one is because the wife insists. If it were up to me I'd sell it.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #219
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just my opinium, could you tell your parents to wait just a bit and you will try to get a real job and see how it goes from there. You might get a higher paying job and all will work out. Just a thought...
Old 08-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #220
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Just my opinium, could you tell your parents to wait just a bit and you will try to get a real job and see how it goes from there. You might get a higher paying job and all will work out. Just a thought...

Well I keep telling them my plan is to take my dads car (95' lumina.. shut up it works fine ) get a job somewhere that actually pays, and earn money for a new (well, used) car and also spend a bit on my fishkeeping addiction. But that seems to be problematic for them..

Oh well. I doubt I'll actually end up selling anything, because then they will feel bad and stuff. xD There's no way to win at this!

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
75g, build, build thread, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com