Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #281
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Wait why are you going to trade in the light? Is it not strong enough for the 75G tank for the things you want? I mean, if it works fine and allows you to do what you want with it, then why bring it back or trade it in? The lights are probably the most expensive parts of SW, so IMO its better that you have them now. Dont know the whole story though, so fill me in!?
XD Not the PC light, the standard florescent light that came with the tank. I can't use it (single tube crappy FW light..) so I might as well try to get some money (or salt) for it.

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #282
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by partypalooza5 View Post
At some point, I'm going to the LFS to see if I can trade in that light for some sand or salt. My thinking was to get the salt first, make the water salty, then add the sand and remove excess water.

Sound good to everyone?
This sounds a little backwards. You will end up causing a sandstorm and will be fighting cloudy water for days.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #283
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Quote:
Originally Posted by match55 View Post
after reading most of the post, I think I should as my parents to buy me something LOL. they never do anything for my tank, except feed my puffers when I went to vacation XD
hey partypa show me your sump and the pipes please, I m gonna build my pipes in a few days when my overflow and return pump arrive. I need some ideassssss.
XP
(forgot to do multi quote again sorry lol!)

I've bought everything for my tank so far with my own money (Ok maybe a few dollars from the parents, but nothing crazy)

I'll post pictures of my new sump layout. Mainly just the vent "T" I put in to stop the gurgles. I would recommend getting flex hose for your drain line, rigid pipe looks nice but it's not good at being quiet. Also get flex hose for your return line, because the less bends in the pipe the greater the water flow.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #284
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
This sounds a little backwards. You will end up causing a sandstorm and will be fighting cloudy water for days.
so sand, then salt?

Old 08-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #285
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, and you could put a layer of newspaper on top of the sand to prevent a major stir up.
By salt, I hope you mean saltwater and not just adding the dry salt to the tank?
Old 08-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #286
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yes, and you could put a layer of newspaper on top of the sand to prevent a major stir up.
By salt, I hope you mean saltwater and not just adding the dry salt to the tank?
Well, the tank is already full of water.. can I not just mix it in the tank? There's nothing else in there but water and a little dust lol.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #287
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it full of RO water? For the first fill before cycling, I guess it would be okay. The reason to mix before is to get into a routine of mixing the water to the correct SG. Since the water is already in it does not matter which is first.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #288
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Is it full of RO water? For the first fill before cycling, I guess it would be okay. The reason to mix before is to get into a routine of mixing the water to the correct SG. Since the water is already in it does not matter which is first.
Don't have an RO unit.. (refrain from saying I need one, I know I do.)

It's just tap water that's had time to "settle out" so to speak. I saw a video of a guy that filled the tank with (carbon filtered) tap water, added salt to the tank, let it mix for a few days, then added LR and sand and so far the tank looks pretty good to me.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #289
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, an old saying is "All roads lead to China". XD
Have fun and keep us posted. I would like to see your tank in a few months. Should be Awsome by then...
Old 08-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #290
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yeah, an old saying is "All roads lead to China". XD
Have fun and keep us posted. I would like to see your tank in a few months. Should be Awsome by then...
I hope it's not just water and emptyness in the next few months!

Tags
75g, build, build thread, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com