My 75G FOWLR build thread. (woot)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just got back from HD and got the PVC! :D

I forgot a few things but I'll see what I can do with what I got. The return nozzle thing is messing me up but It'll work.

Pics to follow eventually.

Well we will see what i get. I am very bad at hooking things up my self electronically and i cant find directions on how to hook the switch up on the internet. So insted of electricuting all my fish when i put them in because of a mess up from when i started the tank i might just have to buy one.

Well we will see what i get. I am very bad at hooking things up my self electronically and i cant find directions on how to hook the switch up on the internet. So insted of electricuting all my fish when i put them in because of a mess up from when i started the tank i might just have to buy one.

Well if your seriously not comfortable with working with electricity it may be best to buy a kit.

It's really a basic circuit.

And it's important to isolate the 115VAC from the float switch. (reed switches don't like high voltage) To do that you just need to use a relay and a 12V (or less) transformer. That way there's only low voltage DC in the tank and not the wall outlet voltage. :D

When I get all the parts together I'll put pics of my way of doing it.

(retail kit 100 bucks, DIY setup around 20 if you have alot of the parts already.)

Well if your seriously not comfortable with working with electricity it may be best to buy a kit.

It's really a basic circuit.

And it's important to isolate the 115VAC from the float switch. (reed switches don't like high voltage) To do that you just need to use a relay and a 12V (or less) transformer. That way there's only low voltage DC in the tank and not the wall outlet voltage. :D

When I get all the parts together I'll put pics of my way of doing it.

(retail kit 100 bucks, DIY setup around 20 if you have alot of the parts already.)

I would really enjoy that. It would really help and i would appreciate it.

Going back to HD to get the right fittings. (Don't you hate when you reach into the box that says 1" and actually end up getting a 3/4"?)

Ok. I got the entire thing plumbed together and I must say it's the most professional looking thing I've ever done.

I will post pics when I get the camera to work. lol

www.autotopoff.com would have all the float valves you need.
PS: forgot to say that all looks great, even the cat. LOL

Last edited:
Yea I plan to order from them. xD now my other cat is wanting to be a fish. But he only likes to hang out in the sump lol.

It looks and mainly sounds like you're doing awesome partypalooza...Some day, when I get time and money I plan on getting a 100+ gallon tank and possibly building things myself to save some money. Thanks for the inspiration :wave:

When I get back from work (more like "sit and do nothing") I'll take pics of the plumbing and way everything's set up. Then I may go ahead and do a test fill -cringe- I REALLY hope the stand can support it.

I think you will be fine. It looks like you had plenty of support under it. Besides we will know soon whether you have or not.

xD I'm just paranoid because my grandmas tank broke twice (300gal tank) and flooded their basement and all sorts of damage and stuff. Not so good.. lol (my parents VS. me: :uzi::silly:)

But I do have to make a slight modification to the stand, the open back is bad for the cats. I don't want them trying to be "sumpfish" when the sump is full. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom