My 90g Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
So this weekend I begin the planning of the 90g upgrade. I am going to go with all new sand. I have 100lbs of live rock but will be getting another 100lbs. Might make my own live rock? Not sure yet. What is the best sand to use for a deep sand bed I want to go 4"-5". What is a good main sump pump for a 90g? I was thinking the mag-drive 9 but seems that the corner overflows are only rated at 600gph in the All Glass Aquariums.

So this weekend I begin the planning of the 90g upgrade. I am going to go with all new sand. I have 100lbs of live rock but will be getting another 100lbs. Might make my own live rock? Not sure yet. What is the best sand to use for a deep sand bed I want to go 4"-5". What is a good main sump pump for a 90g? I was thinking the mag-drive 9 but seems that the corner overflows are only rated at 600gph in the All Glass Aquariums.

In my opinion, you do not need another 100lbs of live rock if you already have 100lbs for a 90gallon. 2+lbs per gallon is a little much and can lead to problem with flow/dead spots.
Look into the Caribsea brand sand, don't bother buying what they call "live" sand. I like the Caribsea Oolitic
For your return pump and that size tank I would go with an Eheim 1260, very reliable and quiet. Eheim Universal "Hobby" Pump this is rated at 635gph, however you won't be getting 635 by the time it travels into the tank... it should be perfect for you. And it uses less electricity/puts out less heat than the Mag 9

Last edited:
I think I am going with 80 lbs of CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand and 120lbs of CaribSea Aragamax Sugar-Sized Sand which should give me a 4" sanbd bed. How does that sound?

Sounds good to me. I really like the mag pumps. They work great for me as I have a mag 12 and a mag 9.5 in my return section.

Sounds good to me. I really like the mag pumps. They work great for me as I have a mag 12 and a mag 9.5 in my return section.

Thats the only brand I have ever used and never had any problem with my Mag Drive 7 so I am going with the Mag Drive 9.5

I was but that is the pump that will fit the piping for the corner kit. I am going to run a "T" off of the piping and put a ball valve on it so that the pressure is ont on the return pump and slow it down that way. I am going to have to do that anyway for the fuge. I think I am going to build a fuge/sump with a 30g tank. so i need to be able to control the flow.

Back
Top Bottom