Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My 90g Upgrade

So this weekend I begin the planning of the 90g upgrade. I am going to go with all new sand. I have 100lbs of live rock but will be getting another 100lbs. Might make my own live rock? Not sure yet. What is the best sand to use for a deep sand bed I want to go 4"-5". What is a good main sump pump for a 90g? I was thinking the mag-drive 9 but seems that the corner overflows are only rated at 600gph in the All Glass Aquariums.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:47 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
So this weekend I begin the planning of the 90g upgrade. I am going to go with all new sand. I have 100lbs of live rock but will be getting another 100lbs. Might make my own live rock? Not sure yet. What is the best sand to use for a deep sand bed I want to go 4"-5". What is a good main sump pump for a 90g? I was thinking the mag-drive 9 but seems that the corner overflows are only rated at 600gph in the All Glass Aquariums.
In my opinion, you do not need another 100lbs of live rock if you already have 100lbs for a 90gallon. 2+lbs per gallon is a little much and can lead to problem with flow/dead spots.
Look into the Caribsea brand sand, don't bother buying what they call "live" sand. I like the Caribsea Oolitic
For your return pump and that size tank I would go with an Eheim 1260, very reliable and quiet. Eheim Universal "Hobby" Pump this is rated at 635gph, however you won't be getting 635 by the time it travels into the tank... it should be perfect for you. And it uses less electricity/puts out less heat than the Mag 9

Old 05-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think I am going with 80 lbs of CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand and 120lbs of CaribSea Aragamax Sugar-Sized Sand which should give me a 4" sanbd bed. How does that sound?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Sounds good to me. I really like the mag pumps. They work great for me as I have a mag 12 and a mag 9.5 in my return section.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Sounds good to me. I really like the mag pumps. They work great for me as I have a mag 12 and a mag 9.5 in my return section.
Thats the only brand I have ever used and never had any problem with my Mag Drive 7 so I am going with the Mag Drive 9.5
Old 05-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
Thats the only brand I have ever used and never had any problem with my Mag Drive 7 so I am going with the Mag Drive 9.5
I thought you were concerned about your overflow not being able to handle the 9.5
Old 05-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was but that is the pump that will fit the piping for the corner kit. I am going to run a "T" off of the piping and put a ball valve on it so that the pressure is ont on the return pump and slow it down that way. I am going to have to do that anyway for the fuge. I think I am going to build a fuge/sump with a 30g tank. so i need to be able to control the flow.

Tags
upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com