My algae scrubber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have some good read ups on algae scrubbers, I could send you the links if you like ?

Yes send them I've been following, and would like more info on it
Thanks

Hi Audifusion, how big is your screen ?
You need at least 1 watt per square inch of screen.
Lets Say your screen is 10x5 inch = 50 square inch so you need 50w of lighting.
What kelvin is the light too ?
2700 - 3000k bulbs work best but you can use up to 6500k which is what I'm using. Ill be building a new light setup with 2700k compact fluorescent spiral bulbs, the only downside is these need good reflectors as not much light makes it into the screen.
Roughing up the screen is very important and is a real pain in the bum lol but needs to be real rough.

Hiya liberty ill pm you a few links to scrubber builds etc ;)

You should see some algae growth soon audi but can take a while for new screen to algae up. If you have high nutrients you will get a thick brown or a thick black algae growing and as soon as this grows clean it off down the kitchen sink quick as this algae covers itself an the underneath will die off as there is no light getting to the bottom causing algae die off. Then after a few cleans you should see some green growing ;)

Dude1982 said:
Hi Audifusion, how big is your screen ?
You need at least 1 watt per square inch of screen.
Lets Say your screen is 10x5 inch = 50 square inch so you need 50w of lighting.
What kelvin is the light too ?
2700 - 3000k bulbs work best but you can use up to 6500k which is what I'm using. Ill be building a new light setup with 2700k compact fluorescent spiral bulbs, the only downside is these need good reflectors as not much light makes it into the screen.
Roughing up the screen is very important and is a real pain in the bum lol but needs to be real rough.

Hiya liberty ill pm you a few links to scrubber builds etc ;)

The 50w led flood puts out the equivalent of a 250w metal halide.

It's super bright.puts out about 6000 lumens. It's got a built in reflector too.

My screen is 18" by 12" I think.

how long do you leave your light on for?

Attachments

• image-4025261532.jpg
    image-4025261532.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 88
Oh right I forgot your using led you half the wattage needed so for a 50sq inch screen needs 25w of led so you should be good in that department and can have a 100sq inch screen, the main thing is to get all the screen lit up good.
For lighting times you should light it for 18 hours and run it opposite your tank lights then you won't get ph swings !
Looks good by the way and keep us updated on algae growth, eventually it will grow algae on the screen and not in your tank ;)
For nutrients issues it can take upto 8 weeks and some really good lighted scrubbers this can take 4 weeks.
Just remember no matter what clean the screen every week, people leave them growing algae longer because it not "thick" enough, this is bad as the algae will cover itself and shade the algae underneath.
Hope this helps mate !

Couple of days growth after a clean and my other screen I need to clean soon ;)

Attachments

• image-187027658.jpg
    image-187027658.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 90
  • image-3048789959.jpg
    image-3048789959.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 93
I like the "in tank" idea, I did mine hanging above the sump which makes it a little difficult to access under my 65

image-1747709256.jpg

early on

image-3011432626.jpg

not too much later

I like the "in tank" idea, I did mine hanging above the sump which makes it a little difficult to access under my 65

early on

not too much later

Your flow is uneven that's why its growing like that. Try to even it out by making sure your slot pipe is straight and it will grow in better. It also looks like the screen isn't rough enough . Looking at the first pic its way off. You should have a sheet of water running down the screen not just dribbling down

Hiya manbeast, as was said try to make the flow better and even across the whole screen plus every week clean the screen, I have made Saturday my screen clean day lol don't completely clean the screen like it is new leave a tiny but of algae on there as this will grow quicker.
If you leave the algae growing it will shade itself and the bottom layers which are not getting much light will start to die off and just release all the nutrients back into your water column, this would just be going against having a scrubber in the first place.
Even if my algae is not very thick I still clean 2 or 3 of my 4 screens a week.

those pics are from when it was first set up and just getting started, it has been working great really reducing the algae that was in the tank, the issue with the tank has been bio-load, I got it off CL and it came fully overstocked and neglected by the previous owner who was going through a divorce so it has given me quite an education as this is my first sw tank but it's all good now starting to slowly fill it with softies and they're all doing well

What do you guys use to rough up the screen ?

I used a hand saw and rubbed it across the screen many times. Just want to make sure it's rough enough .

How soon should I start to see algae growing on it?

Tried the holesaw bit, unfortunately the teeth were pretty worn out from going through steel mesh in my ceiling.

don't think I took off that much material with the saw teeth.

I bought a few back up screens, so I'll scratch them up to spec.

How long should I have my scrubber light on for?

Here is a good way roughing up the screen:

http://youtu.be/-mrCWALt9Qs

I would suggest roughing up a little more, a lightly roughed up screen may still get algae growth In the display tank, only a really really really really rough screen will get results a lot faster and wont "let go" of algae as quick !
And yes light it up for 18 hours ;)

Oh lighting times:
You can double the wattage and half the photo period.
If lighting for 18 hours with 50w of lighting you can use 100w of lighting for 9 hours, this way bulbs have double the life span.

Forgot to mention the size and lighting guidelines (nutrients out), it goes on feeding (nutrients in) not the size of the tank etc.

Attachments

• image-3228335796.jpg
    image-3228335796.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 105
I have to say the way I have designed this scrubber it's a breeze to take out a screen and clean it, here is what I have just cleaned off :)

Attachments

• image-1899605949.jpg
    image-1899605949.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 110
  • image-2030234645.jpg
    image-2030234645.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 107

View attachment 153946

early on

View attachment 153947

not too much later

I think others may have pointed this out but you need to rough up the screen, and cross-cuts are not good to have on the slot pipe, plus you need a lot more flow.

As for the basics of the algae scrubber:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/algae-scrubber-basics-163817.html

As for the trough filter idea...hate to burst your bubble but Paul B's 35 yr old reef tank has been running one of these for a long long time

almost 35 year old reef pictures - Reef Central Online Community Post #345 on the first split of his 7+ yr old thread

Back
Top Bottom