My anemone experiences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
First off, I want to preface this by stating that I don't think I know anything. This is just observing what is going on in my tank(s).

I probably got my first anemone too early. I transferred everything over to my tank and things were looking pretty good. I later realized that I had no clue what I was doing with LEDs, and suffered losses with most of the SPS corals I had in the tank as well as my first anemone. Basically, I think even on 20-30% strength, I fried everything in the tank.

While I was watching my first anemone go down hill, I read tons of forum posts saying "pitch it, it will nuke your tank." However, most of this seems to be people repeating what they have heard.

My question for you all here is, have you had, or have you witnessed an anemone die (not being sucked into a powerhead) that caused a tank meltdown?

Here's a photo of my first anemone. Notice the little anemone shrimp on it? (more on that later).

1.jpg

When I got this animal, it was beautiful. After a day or so it retreated under a rock and didn't come out for a couple of weeks. It finally reappeared to start expelling eggs or sperm (not sure which). I panicked and called the owner of my LFS. I had read they would do this when they are going downhill, and could really screw up your tank. He had me bag up the rock and bring it in to him. We tossed it in one of his tanks for a month or so and it rebounded a bit, although it would not accept food. I took it home, and the anemone shrimp was in it within 30 minutes of reintroducing it to the tank. (in the meantime, I switched from the LED setup to a T5 fixture.

This went on for about a month, and the anemone showed no signs of wanting to get better, so I held a funeral for it. I decided to try another one. If this didn't work, I would be done with them.

So here's my new one the day I introduced it to the tank on 3 JULY.

2.jpg

Here it is 5 days later...a bit concerning:

3.jpg

I was then gone on a work trip for two weeks and come home to see this (29 JULY)

4.jpg

Then by the beginning of August we look like this for a few days:

5.jpg

Great, I'm going to have to have another anemone funeral, which makes me feel terrible.

At this point, I decided to collect the shrimp and toss him in my 28 gallon biocube.

By August 11th, it looked like this, which kept me depressed:

6.jpg

Then, around the 18th of August, the clownfish decided they wanted to start hanging out in the anemone:

7.jpg

So fast forward to today, October 14th, this is what the nem looks like:

nem.jpg

(please ignore the little patch of GHA by the nem, it's the only one in my tank, and when I try to clean it out, the jerk clownfish will draw blood on my hands, so it's staying)

So the lessons I learned are as follows:

* Contrary to what one might read, these are pretty tough creatures.
* The anemone shrimp (while so cute) might beat them up worse than a clown.
* Once the anemone started hosting the clowns, the turnaround was pretty remarkable. Obviously, I don't have enough evidence to know if the clowns had anything to do with it, or time away from the shrimp helped

Sorry this is long...I want to end with my question from the beginning. Have you experienced, or know firsthand someone who experienced a 'nem nuking a tank when it died (other than being sucked into a powerhead/etc).

If I could go back in time to last April, I'd tell myself "Don't freak out". They will pull out or they won't. In both of my tanks, the anemones have not moved more than 4-5 inches from where I initially placed them. At this point, until I have definitive evidence to the contrary, I have no worries about the animal nuking my tank, so long as it doesn't wander into the MP10s.

I'll be honest. Looking through your pictures I don't see anything to have been worried about. I simply see an anemone adjusting to a new tank, which it did pretty well. The ones where he is stressed looks like he is pooping out after eating something that was too big for him to process. Beautiful rbta btw.

What was the led you had set up before?

Gaker,

What kind of flow do you have in your tank, I read an article on the symbiosis of clowns and nems and a major benefit that the clown provides is better flow for the nem. I have never kept one and am not sure of their flow requirements but I'm sure they have one. Just a thought.

Well. To back up your argument on nems not nuking tanks I've had three in the last two years. My first one was a sebae and my tank was too new, I was too inexperienced and i had 4 T5s. The nem much withered away on me and I didn't want to "nuke the tank" so I brought him back to my LFS. After i upgraded to LEDs I bought my second one which was an GBTA and it was slightly bleached but compulsively I bought it. The nem did good for a bout a month but i didn't notice any color coming back but it seemed healthy and full and my maroon was hosting him. It stayed put and everything was fine until I heard it get sucked into the PH early in the morning. Oh boy!! My tank was cloudy white and shredded nem went everywhere. So I pulled the PH out of the tank disposed of what was left of my poor nem. :(. To top it off I really thought my tank was nuked because all the corals reacted just as I thought they would but everything bounced back in a few days. That's it I was done with them but my clown kept hosting, or should I say annoying corals. So one more try ******!!! This is my third attempt so I got made sure to wait and get a healthy one this time. So about 3 months ago i got an RBTA and 3 weeks in this one is in the power head but I caught it early enough to save it. Just a little shred on it so I put it back where it was and he has made a full recovery and has been happy since. I know they don't have brains but I think this one learned what happens when you just let go. Lol!! I know people on here cringe at hearing horror stories about newbs killing nems but its all about experience and taking your time on research and like many others I've learned the hard way.

Well. To back up your argument on nems not nuking tanks I've had three in the last two years. My first one was a sebae and my tank was too new, I was too inexperienced and i had 4 T5s. The nem much withered away on me and I didn't want to "nuke the tank" so I brought him back to my LFS. After i upgraded to LEDs I bought my second one which was an GBTA and it was slightly bleached but compulsively I bought it. The nem did good for a bout a month but i didn't notice any color coming back but it seemed healthy and full and my maroon was hosting him. It stayed put and everything was fine until I heard it get sucked into the PH early in the morning. Oh boy!! My tank was cloudy white and shredded nem went everywhere. So I pulled the PH out of the tank disposed of what was left of my poor nem. :(. To top it off I really thought my tank was nuked because all the corals reacted just as I thought they would but everything bounced back in a few days. That's it I was done with them but my clown kept hosting, or should I say annoying corals. So one more try ******!!! This is my third attempt so I got made sure to wait and get a healthy one this time. So about 3 months ago i got an RBTA and 3 weeks in this one is in the power head but I caught it early enough to save it. Just a little shred on it so I put it back where it was and he has made a full recovery and has been happy since. I know they don't have brains but I think this one learned what happens when you just let go. Lol!! I know people on here cringe at hearing horror stories about newbs killing nems but its all about experience and taking your time on research and like many others I've learned the hard way.

Here is mine. http://youtu.be/e6lBCeGH5mM

I've heard a such thing of matching different anemones with clown fish .
Some clowns will host too aggressive and damage or irritate the anemone .
Back to the bleaching question to the picture I posted .
How to tell if she is getting color back or is there something else wrong?

Clowns are generally not life savers for anemones. Anything in the anemones, like a clown fish or a shrimp, stresses it to some level. Maybe not enough to do anything to the anemone, but in some cases it's more than enough to stress it.
The shrimp may have been stressing it more than the clown does. I had a pair of ocellaris clowns stress a rose bubble tip into 4 rose bubble tips in a very short time. I've had maroon clowns kill anemones.

I've never seen one nuke a tank. By nuking, it's possible they mean a large amount of nutrients hitting the water column all at once. Kind of like dumping a whole jar of fish food in the tank at once.

I do know that an anemone moving means it's not comfortable in some way. I would look to parameters if it's roaming around.

I had an anemone scare 1 week after I got it when it stuck in the propeller of one of my koralia head.

It was wandering constantly and of course got to the wrong spot. After that event it retreated deep in the rock pile for about 10 days. I had no clue where it was and was bracing for a potential disaster.

Since I could not remove the anemone without destroying the landscape I focused on measuring and lower my nitrates with pwc and more rocks. I also increased the photoperiod of my 4 t5s.

After those 10 days my anemone resurfaced by a cave opening at the back. It looked not too bad considering what happened. I started feeding it squid bits once week.

Now 2 months after it has settled at the front and looks good. It now has a routine of retreating a bit in the cave each night and coming out with the lights.

So I have very limited experience with anemones but my experience is that at least the bta seems pretty tough.

The clowns I have may have helped, but the anemone was on its own for the 10 days blackout in the rocks.

Attachments

• image-3392101866.jpg
    image-3392101866.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 88
Back
Top Bottom