My Beginner Reef (Aqua One Mini Reef 90)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Truly_Clueless

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am wanting to setup an aqua one mini reef 90 and I had a few questions.
The tank is a about 90L or (24 gallons) in the display and a I don’t know what the sump volume is. The kit comes with a heater, skimmer, light, return pump and cabinet. This is my first saltwater aquarium but I have heavily researched the products I do this especially after I see something at my LFS that I like. (I am at the LFS too often to not have a tank!)

Stocking:
Pair of Ocellaris Clownfish
Yellow Watchmen Goby
Cleaner Shrimp or Fire Shrimp

Upgrades:
AI Prime HD LED
Rossmont Mover M3400L Wavemaker Pump
A return pump upgrade?
A new skimmer suggestions?
ATO suggestions?

Cleaner Crew:
Nassarius Snails how many?
Hermit Crabs how many?

Any other suggestions?
:thanks:

The reason is that I can’t afford to buy everything individually and that these will be future upgrades not necessarily to bought straight away but if you have any recommendations for a tank with sump then sure. Doing this will also get me into the hobby quicker even though it is for more money. Since I live in Australia I don’t have much variety in terms products.

I actually don't see much wrong with this system. The lighting will most likely need an upgrade eventually, which you pointed out.
Other than that, you'll need at least one powerhead in there. You'll be aiming for between 10-50x turn over of the water column.
As for now, keep things simple. If this is the setup you are dead set on, go for it. Then you can get yourself moving towards having 1 lbs per gallon of both live/macro rock and sand. Between that and the powerhead(s) you'll be moving in the right direction.

Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it. I am just trying to gather as much information as possible. I have considered using the light that comes with it as a refugium light when I upgrade would this be appropriate? I have also thought about getting the next level aqua one mini reef which is the 120 just give the extra volume because I wouldn’t have to get different equipment for upgrades. I am going to rule out the skimmer upgrade until I have the skimmer to see wether or not I can make it quieter as well as the return pump upgrade which I am doubting would need an upgrade unless I want it to be silent. Is the 10 - 50x the water volume just for the powerhead or for both the powerhead and return pump?

You have a beautiful tank yourself which lets me know that you know what you are doing and that I have come to the right place for information.

The 10-50x turnover is for all pumps that are moving water around. It’s really just a guide as you’ll be moving them around and trying to get the flow right.
As for a refugium light, any light will grow algae. I’ve done it with a power saving bulb and a clip on work light. Just the better the light the better the algae growth.
Thanks on my tank. I accidentally got too much kalk paste into the system recently and killed pretty much everything...so were working towards getting back into the swing of things.

Thanks for the info I will look into my water turnover and sorry to hear about your tank.

It’s been awhile since my last post. My plans have changed drastically from a Mini Reef 90 to a 120. As I have bought a second hand mini reef 120 off gumtree. For the price I got the tank in good condition. All equipment only used for less than 12 months. The standpipe has been extended to reduce noise by the previous owner.

Equipment:
Two Sicce voyager nanos
Aquaone moray 2300
Eheim jager 150w
Aquaone mariglow 25w
RLSS R6i protein skimmer

The whole kit I got for a shocking $500 AUD.

I have cleaned and tested all the equipment (It all works) in white vineager and RO water. (I have not set it up quite yet.)

My stocking for the aquarium has changed a lot as my LFS does not get many different fish. So far it has changed to a pair of ocellaris clowns and possibly a royal dottyback.

Today I had to move the first baffle in the sump so then the skimmer will physically fit. I am also throwing around ideas for the fuge that I want to do which means I have to make a barrier on top of the second baffle using egg crate most likely.

I am still going to upgrade the light to an AI Prime HD and purchase an ATO.

Sorry again for no posts.

Where do you live? Once you get active on the boards or in Facebook groups, you can find almost any livestock w/in a couple hours drive or w/overnight shipping(typically pricey $35)

I live in Melbourne, Australia in regards to the livestock at the moment I am not that interested in hard to find fish as I am a beginner but I will follow up as I haven’t decided on stocking besides two ocellaris clowns.

Back
Top Bottom