Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2006, 04:49 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

8O Wow...Nothing really to add. Afilter is dead on. One thing good about this forum is if someone post bad advice to you someone else will call them on it. Hope you take heed. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:57 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
Wait a second... Why do i still have to return the mandarin even though i got it to eat live/dead (some of the shrimps i kept in the 20G died) brine shrimps? It wouldnt die from starvation would it? Plus this fish wouldn't need that much space to swim, just food right?

Old 03-29-2006, 01:27 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Brine shrimp is not a healthy diet, it is a "treat."

It is generally held that brine shrimp is the nutritional equivalent of Twinkies. You could eat Twinkies for every meal, and you might stay alive and look OK...however, after several weeks of this diet, you would begin to suffer from malnutrition, even though you would be getting fat. Eventually, your body would start to break down and you would end up very sick.

Feeding your mandarin a straight diet of brine shrimp would lead to the same results in your mandarin...he might even look fat, but he will be malnourished.

Just so you know, you are doing it again... You obviously want to keep him, and you are searching for someone to tell you it is OK to keep him. Every post on this board has given you the advice to take him back, and I guarantee you that will continue to be the advice here. The advice from experienced aquarists and "words from the wise" are to take it back. Ultimately, it will be your decision to heed or ignore the advice, but don't ask for help and then argue with the advice. The people here are responsible aquarists, and are just not going to tell you what you want to hear, they are going to tell you what is in the best interests of your fish.

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:56 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

TheRealFF,

Glad to see you are back. Sorry to see you still do not want to do what is best for the fish. I sent you a PM yesterday. Please read it.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:05 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

I myself really wanted a mandarin at first until I was told they needed an established tank. I still would like to get one but I plan to wait until my tank is about 1.5 to 2 years old just to be sure. I think it is worth the wait to ensure the fish lasts a while. I am getting the feeling though that you will most likely keep this fish and just let things play on luck. I too think it is unwise but if you are going to keep it you need to look into something more nutritious than brine shrimp. Consider buying a product like what this place carries. If you are going to go against the advice provided than you should at least do everything else you can to try to give this fish a chance. Again, I am not condoning keeping the fish but I would like to show you this product for the fishes sake.

http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.co...l.aspx?ID=1554
Old 03-29-2006, 01:16 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

RealFF,

Does RealFF stand for Real Fish Friend? If it does I think you should return the mandarin to the LFS and possibly find a new fish outlet to shop at since I think those people you are dealing with are making a quick buck off your newbie status in the saltwater hobby.

To clear up some issues you may have. A 30 gallon tank is sparsly much bigger than a nano-reef, in this case you options where fish are concerned are very slim. If you do plan for it to be a reef than here is a good fish line up for you, once the tank is cycles and 3 weeks is not cycled - 3 months will be.

1 Purple Fishfish
2 False Percula Clownfish
1 Watchman Goby
3 Bangaii or Pajama Cardinals
1 Catalina Goby

That would be a sufficient and good line up for a 30 gallon reef tank. As for Manadarins they can be kept in 55 gallon tanks, even 30 gallon tanks if you have a refuge about 20-30 gallons that is ultra well established and teeming with live sand and live rock. The sad truth is FF your tank does not at this time have near the potential of housing a Mandarinfish.

As for feeding mandarins a diet of live and dead brine shrimp, that simply wont fill thier nutritional needs since brine shrimp is the popcorn of the sea.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:52 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
1 Purple Fishfish
2 False Percula Clownfish
1 Watchman Goby
3 Bangaii or Pajama Cardinals
1 Catalina Goby
macman, are you suggesting he put ALL 8 fish in his 29G tank? seriously?

On another note. I think he gets the picture about taking the mandarin back. I don't think there is a need for the sarcasm inherent in the question about his AA nickname.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:12 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

no i was just listing those as all potential tennants for his aquarium. all are recommended nano-fish that attain just a few inches in maximum size
Old 03-29-2006, 02:14 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealFF
Wait a second... Why do i still have to return the mandarin even though i got it to eat live/dead (some of the shrimps i kept in the 20G died) brine shrimps? It wouldnt die from starvation would it? Plus this fish wouldn't need that much space to swim, just food right?
considering that I also assume he still attends to keep the mandarin
Old 03-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
TheRealFF, it still seems to me that despite all the advice to return the mandarin you will keep it regardless. For the sake of the fish please at least buy a hob refugium or in tank refugium so you can house live pods you can buy listed in the links below to give it a fighting chance!

www.reefnutrition.com
www.ipsf.com
www.inlandaquatics.com
www.seahorse.com

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com