Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2006, 11:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
My Blue Mandarin!!!

I went to the LFS today and they just got some blue mandarins in. I was so excited when i looked at them but did NOT have plan to buy one b/c i've heard they'll starve and die due to my newly matured 30G. It was the greatest momment when the guy at the LFS fed them with brine shrimps and they accepted the treat! I got some information about feeding them with live brine shrimps for a few weeks then lure them into eating frozen brine shrimps from the guy. I decided...to buy one! Yay! It's the best fish i've ever have in my life. I'll get some pictures as soon as he stops moving (he's moving around alot to eat).

About feeding, the LFS sells live brine shrimps for a pretty reasonable price $2 for 1 teaspoon (abit bigger than regular teaspoons) so im happy.

Just thought i could share my greatest day

Old 03-25-2006, 11:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tito2491 Send a message via MSN to Tito2491
A blue mandarin? never seen one , good to hear it eats brine shrimp , good luck and post some pics

Old 03-26-2006, 03:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK well I dont know where to start. First Even though the fish is eating brine shrimp that is not nearly enough nutrition for this type of fish. Feeding fish brine shrimp is equivalent to us eating chocolate. They need a large supply of pods. These fish shouldnt be in tank with less than 100 lbs of mature LR, along with a refugium to supply a never ending source of pods. It is good that its eating something but all they do is eat. They can consume 100s of pods a day. Second $2 a teaspoon of live brine. I order a bag in from work of 500 for $4. I know many of people who have tried housing these fish and have them starve within a few months. Oh take a look at the fishes stomach and see if its turned up. Good luck and keep us posted. I dont want to sound like I am bashing you but these fish are very difficult to house.
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

If anything QT it and get it eating Mysis Shrimp that is so much better than Brine. Still spot feeding this fish is not going to cut it.
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
Old 03-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
It's odd how u could say brine shrimps don't have enuf nutritions for mandarins when baby brine shrimps are used to raise baby fishes to adulthood. Plus some people have already got theirs to eat frozen/prepared foods, which im sure have way less nutritions than live brine shrimps.

I've read from a few places that mandarins can kept in small tanks as long as they are well fed. They don't need large space to be happy. They are just fat i guess hehe

Correct me if im wrong. I only said what i think is right.

About the brineshrimps, u got 500 teaspoons for $4? That's amazing

My mandarin keeps perching around the caves near heater. I can't take a good picture of him. This is the only one i could manage to take when he came out to eat a brineshrimp.

Thanks guys
Old 03-26-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wish you success with your new addition. The fact remains that most manderins do die of starvation when not given access to a healty pod population. The best husbandry for these fish is still a very mature tank with LOTS of LR. Brine shrimp is still not the best option. A fat manderin can still die of "starvation" from nutritional neglect. At least look into "gut-loaded" brine that has suppliments added to them. Soak your brine in a product like Selcon or vita-chem as well. I do hope your fish becomes the execption and not the rule.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Brine shrimp are commonly referred to as fish 'potato chips' due to the amount of nutrition they contain (they have almost none). If you can gut load them with Selcon or some similar additive, that might help.

I have heard of some folks being successful with a mandarin in a 55 gallon tank, a 30 is rather doubtful unless you have a huge fuge for growing pods. You could set up a small tank for raising pods and feed the main tank from there. The number of people who are able to get a mandarin to eat prepared food is rather small. Usually the fish starves to death over a period of months due to the lack of food in a small tank.

This is the second time I've read a post from you declining to take advice from people with more experience because you don't think they are correct, or because you don't feel like it. That is usually a precursor of a tank disaster.

I wish you good luck with your tank.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

No I get a bag of 500 shrimp for $4. Let me know if you are interested maybe I can order you one and ship it to you so you are not getting beat on brine shrimp. I love these fish and I like seeing them survive. As for getting to eat frozen food, get it to eat frozen mysis if you can that would be a lot better for the fish. Still spot feeding is not enough for this type of fish. I am only giving you my experiences. I have housed a mandarin for about a year. Yeah I can get it to eat prepared foods but thats only once and a while. Its in a 55g, with 100lbs of LR and a refug. These fish are always moving around the LR looking for food. How many lbs to have? How long has the tank been running. I just want you to know the possibility of this fish starving. Ive seen it happen to people.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

mandarin gobies rock, I'm setting my 90 gal up for one...but my tank is still cycling, I'd hate to see you starve one to death though...so good luck with that whole shrimp idea, but if you wanna keep it long term, you should set up a refugium and buy a lot of copepods/amphipods for it, cause your fish will need em
Old 03-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, I don't know of many mandarins that have lived past the first year. They almost invariably die except in large, mature tanks with experienced reefers. I have a three year old tank with 100# of LR, a fuge with hundreds of visible pods and I wouldn't even consider a mandarin, I know I'm not experienced enough, and my tank is only a minimum living situation.

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com