My BUbletip anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilly

Aquarium Advice Regular
My bubble tip anemone is upsidedown hiding under my LR. I have very little light in my 25gallon running two 15watt florescent light, one of them is the marine land blue bulb and a powerglow white bulb. Would my anemone die due to lack of light? and how do i know when my clown will feed my anemone?

Low light will definately kill anemones. From my experience, Bubbletips are one of the hardiest clownfish-hosting anemones, but two 15w bulbs on a 25 gallon is definately not enough light. I would reccomend an absolute minimum of 3.5 wpg for the bubbletip.
Anemones get most of their nutrition from the zooxanthellae algae that lives within their cells. This algae needs intense lighting to carryout photosynthesis, producing carbohydrates and organic acids. This provides for much of the anemone's nutrition. Anemones are believed to also "feed" on the nitrogenous wastes produced by clownfish, but many experts believe the waste is consumed in order to provide nutrition for the zooanthellae algae. Anemones also have the ability to collect planktonic organisms in the water column as well as an unexpecting fish or invertebrate that is caught up within its tentacles.
Most clownfish will not feed their anemone. I'm sure a well fed clown may bring back some food to the anemone. But I've actually witnessed clownfish taking food away from the anemone. I would not worry too much about the clownfish physically bringing food to the anemone. However, I believe it is the owners duty to offer the anemone food (shrimp, squid strips, scallops, etc).
You might also want to consider water quality and tank conditions. Anemones require intense lighting, proper trace elements, low nutrients (phosphate and nitrate), as well as good water movement. HTH

Sorry, but i have to agree with zoofishmaster. from my research you do not have enought light to keep this anemone. It will not survive for any length of time, however it may live for a month or so. Anyone else, correct me if I'm wrong, but i would take it back to the lfs or upgrade your lighting asap. JMO.

Jim

I have to agree here. You do just not have the proper lighting to keep an anemone alive long-term. You either need to upgrade your lighting or bring the animal back to the LFS. Trust me, you do not want this thing to die in your tank.

ZoozFishMaster said:
Most clownfish will not feed their anemone. I'm sure a well fed clown may bring back some food to the anemone. But I've actually witnessed clownfish taking food away from the anemone. quote]

The only time when I see my perc clowns feed the anemone is when the food is to too large for the percs to completely put in their mouths. They try to eat it but spit it back out and it lands in the anemone. IMo it doesn't seem that it was the percs intent to feed the anemone but they just couldnt swallow it so they gave up and spit the food out.

You can try to substain the BTA by feeding it. I would probably feed every other day meating foods. Cut the food up to around eraser head sized chunks so it can be easily swallowed quickly before some food thief takes it from the BTA. You should upgrade your lights to have better chance of survival.

ZoozFishMaster said:
Most clownfish will not feed their anemone. I'm sure a well fed clown may bring back some food to the anemone. But I've actually witnessed clownfish taking food away from the anemone.

The only time when I see my perc clowns feed the anemone is when the food is to too large for the percs to completely put in their mouths. They try to eat it but spit it back out and it lands in the anemone. IMo it doesn't seem that it was the percs intent to feed the anemone but they just couldnt swallow it so they gave up and spit the food out.

You can try to substain the BTA by feeding it. I would probably feed every other day meating foods. Cut the food up to around eraser head sized chunks so it can be easily swallowed quickly before some food thief takes it from the BTA. It would be best to upgrade your lights to have better chance of survival for the BTA.

is there an option to delete your own post?

Back
Top Bottom