My calcium is high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 42 gallon tank with 45 lbs of LR.

I had a huge brown algae bloom a few days back, and have done 3, 5-gallon water changes in the past three days (one per day)

I have 4 corals - 1 elegance coral, 1 meat coral, 1 hammer and 1 flower pot.

All my numbers are in the green.

Amonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 10
pH = 8.2
Temp = 78
SG = 1.023
Phosphates = .2

However, here is my concern . . .

Calcium = 500 ppm
KH = 230 ppm

Is this too high? I have a buffering product, but it does not say that it is phosphate free.

I have a phosphate and silicate magnet in place, but don't want to tax it.

What can I do to get my calcium and KH into more reasonable ranges?

Thanks!

Todd

Todd,

What (if anything) are you using to dose calcium? Also, what type (brand) of test kits are you using?

As far as bringing the levels to more 'reasonable' numbers, water changes should help - along with stopping your dosing of any ca/alk additives (if you are dosing anything). FWIW, one 15% water change is more effective than 3 x 5% water changes. I don't know the math behind the reason off the top of my head, but it has been proved out several times.

Also, for corals/inverts, you should get your salinity up to 1.025. Phosphates - again, test kit? .2 is pretty high ... I know you mentioned using a p04 magnet - any idea why the phosphates are that high? Are you using RO/DI?

Sorry to ramble, and to answer your questions with questions.....! Hopefully we can help you out.

Thanks for the response, RL.

I am not dosing anything at all for calcium. Just water changes. I use the SeaChem Calcium Kit. It is a titration type where you keep adding from the syringe until the color changes to blue, then you read the amount left on a chart which tells you your calcium. I empty the whole thing and still get no color change (which means it is above 500ppm according to the chart).

As far as phosphates, I have several tests. I keep buying tests hoping to get one that is easier to read. They are all very particular, and if I add even one drop of tank water too much, the results are drastically off. I just sort of trust that the phosphate/silicate magnet is doing it's job, but not sure if I have it in the right place. It says to place it where water can flow through it. I have it in my sump right before the sponge filter leads water to the exit pump. It is fully submerged. I think it needs to be somewhere where dry where water can hit it, and then flow through. Where is the best place for these things???

I'll work on raising the salinity. I have read that 1.025 was ideal - I just want to make sure I do it slowly.

I agree with the 15% being better than 5%, but 5% is the largest amt. of water I can move at one time. I might invest in a large bucket, or something, but for now, I only have 5 gallon buckets for my water changes.

Thanks,
Todd

Todd,

To the best of my knowledge (someone please jump out and correct me here!) - I think Seachem kits should only be used when dosing *Seachem* additives. I could be totally wrong ... and may have it backwards ... maybe if you use Seachem additives, you can only test with Seachem kits ... pardon my ignorance here.

Have you had a LFS verify your results? 500+ ca levels would be very high if you're not dosing anything. There is no way that I know of to bring the level *down*. Are you using RO/DI? In the past life of a previous tank (and home) we were using well water, and the calcium levels were sky high. We had calcium deposits everywhere - dishwasher, washing machine, etc. A RO/DI on the tank (whole-house filter for the rest of the applicances) saved us a lot of grief.

I keep buying tests hoping to get one that is easier to read.

Have you tried Salifert kits? I don't use anything else. P04 still can be tough to read, though.

I've never used a phosphate magnet, so hopefully someone else can answer your question on that.

Sorry I can't help more!

hmmmm, Seachem test kit, should test for CA, not necessarily just the CA polygluganate that seachem uses. Have you tested the reference that comes with the kit? I wonder f you aren't skipping a step and your Mg is being added in as well. First thing I would do is test the reference, and make sure your not skipping a step.

Back
Top Bottom