My cleaner shrimp died?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gvillboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I came home just now and my cleaner shrimp was sitting attached to a rock lifeless. Upon closer inspection, after becoming highly upset...lol I noticed I had two, which didn't make any sense cause I know i only have one. Then It dawned on me that she just shed her old shell... I let out a big sigh of relief!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120813_174531.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120813_174531.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 158
I had the same response to a lobster in my tank. The first time you see it, it is scary.

bioteacher said:
I had the same response to a lobster in my tank. The first time you see it, it is scary.

I literally had no clue what happened...I'm new to the salt water scene and I learn something new every day....it's addicting!

How long do cleaners live, I've had mine for years. Shrimp seem like the type of animal that shouldn't live very long...lol I don't know why I think that but they just seem that way.

Any idea on longjevity?

Molted....that's what it's called... Thank! Generally a good sign right?

Provided it is not happening too often...then it's completely natural, but crustaceans store toxins (that may be too strong a word) in the exoskeleton, and when they molt the toxins go with them, it's also very taxing on the animal, so if they are molting all the time, it's not good.

How often is too often. My fire shrimp molted twice in about 5-7 weeks. I can't remember when I got, but within the last couple of months I think.

Ok, cool. My cleaner doesn't molt that much, maybe every few months so when my fire did twice in such a short period, I was a bit concerned. They are in separate tanks, so I wasn't sure about it. I am dosing iodine in the fire shrimps tank, as it's a reef and thought it maybe a reason..

To OP, sorry for high jacking the thread.

Ok, cool. My cleaner doesn't molt that much, maybe every few months so when my fire did twice in such a short period, I was a bit concerned. They are in separate tanks, so I wasn't sure about it. I am dosing iodine in the fire shrimps tank, as it's a reef and thought it maybe a reason..

Stop dosing iodine! That could very well be why the shrimp molted more often than you would expect, at any rate, it is unnecessary. All your tanks iodine needs can be met with pwc's.

My fish guy said to add 12 drops once a week to,keep the levels up. I'll stop right away. It's was the bright well iodin. It's a 54g reef using tropic Marin reg salt, not the reef blend. Thanks!

Rosesrblu1 said:

Man this a Forum talk all you want...provides me with more info...which was my purpose of starting thread anyway!

Thanks dude!!! Btw, first time I saw my horseshoe crab molt I was totally freaked out...didn't realize they molt and thought he was a goner...

reefrunner69 said:
Provided it is not happening too often...then it's completely natural, but crustaceans store toxins (that may be too strong a word) in the exoskeleton, and when they molt the toxins go with them, it's also very taxing on the animal, so if they are molting all the time, it's not good.

I've had her about 1 mouth this was the first time I've seen this happen....so I think everything's good! I also see lil hermit claws from time to time on my gravel...is that from the same process?

Rosesrblu1 said:
Thanks dude!!! Btw, first time I saw my horseshoe crab molt I was totally freaked out...didn't realize they molt and thought he was a goner...

Well I really don't feel as slow as I felt before....lol I didn't know though...never had any crabs or shrimp anyway...unless I was eating them!

I've had her about 1 mouth this was the first time I've seen this happen....so I think everything's good! I also see lil hermit claws from time to time on my gravel...is that from the same process?

Possibly, or you might have some clawless hermits. If all of them are accounted for and they all have their claws, then it's just a molt.

reefrunner69 said:
Possibly, or you might have some clawless hermits. If all of them are accounted for and they all have their claws, then it's just a molt.

Only if I new how many I had....lol but ok thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom