Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelf
It's official my other clown died !!! omg this is so sad ... I can't believe this
I am sorry, have you done a water change?? What else is in the tank? Hopefully nothing

Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelf View Post
It's official my other clown died !!! omg this is so sad ... I can't believe this
Sorry man, tank loss stinks. I just lost most of my fish as a result of a 5 day power outage, so I feel your pain.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighabeeb

Sounds like nitrites to me...it doesn't take much in the way of nitrite to kill fish.

As a side bar you are way, way, WAY overstocking your tank which is likely why you're seeing huge levels of nitrite. In a 10 gallon tank you should have AT MOST 5 - 7 inches of fish (some would say push it to 10, I do not subscribe to that, but I also tend to way understock my tanks)...and that's if you're using some massive filtration and doing water changes like a maniac.
That is a bad method. You cant put a 7 inch yellow tang in a 10, but i get were yoir goin. ONLY nano fish belong in a 10, and i would only suggest 2 fish, both smaller than 3"
Old 11-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

My ammonia is 0 I guess I'll just have my anemone their by itself for a while until the tank is good enough to add a clown then I guess I'll just add a pair of clowns and that is it.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

That is a bad method. You cant put a 7 inch yellow tang in a 10, but i get were yoir goin. ONLY nano fish belong in a 10, and i would only suggest 2 fish, both smaller than 3"
Totally agree, I also understand it, but this method of deciding how many fish you can have definatly has loopholes and IMO shouldn't be used as a definate decision maker as to the stocking of your tank.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
My ammonia is 0 I guess I'll just have my anemone their by itself for a while until the tank is good enough to add a clown then I guess I'll just add a pair of clowns and that is it.
Are you reading what we have written...? 2 clowns would be overstocked. MAYBE one...MAYBE
Old 11-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
NO a pair of clowns is too much for a 10 gallon. A single clown is too much IMO. You'll end up back in this same situation.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
Agreed - and I've had the same argument with the dude at the LFS - but as a general guideline it gives an idea. I guess I tend to give too much credit sometimes in assuming that people will now that slapping a naso tang into a 10 gallon tank would be a bad idea

In any event, I think we all agree on the basic concept which is that this tank is overstocked
Old 11-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelf View Post
Do yourself a favor - remove that anemone (if it dies in the tank which, it would be my guess at any rate, it will...at which point it will poison the living crap out of your tank) and then take a look at this page for fish that are appropriate for a tank of your size:
Nano Fish

You can order a couple, but not a lot, of these smaller fish.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

But I don't get why they sell 10 gallons then if you can't fit any fish and how is it that they have 5 clowns in a 10 gallon at pet stores their is like 4 10 gallons full of clown why can't I just keep 2?!?

Tags
clown, die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com