My clown died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelf

Aquarium Advice Regular
My clown fish died I'm so sad!!!! :( my nitrates were high but my anemone is perfectly fine, I did a water change today. Now my other clown is dying he is not swimming and he is laying on the ground I put him in a bowl with clean nitrate free perfect salt water to see if he might get better. Pet store said they have no idea what is wrong because anemones usually are more sensitive than clowns!!! What is wrong with my clown??

What are the exact readings? How long has the tank been established? Size? Stock? Any external problems with your clown? How large of a water change did you do? Putting your clown in a bowl might have stressed him out even more...

I am extremly sorry about your poor clowns, I hope The other can pull through :)

How long have you had the clowns and where did you get the salt water that you put him into/did the water change with?

Okay I don't know my exact readings I think it was 20 ppm nitrate, nitrite 2.0 , ammonia is good . My tank is a 10 gallon had for 5 months know my anemone is in excellent condition but my clowns can't seem to pull through I bought a fire fish goby and it died 2 days later...

angelf said:
Okay I don't know my exact readings I think it was 20 ppm nitrate, nitrite 2.0 , ammonia is good . My tank is a 10 gallon had for 5 months know my anemone is in excellent condition but my clowns can't seem to pull through I bought a fire fish goby and it died 2 days later...

Ok well do at least a 50 % NOW. the nitrite is wayyy to high, and the nitrate should be lower too. Im guessing its overstocked, and this is why you have excess nirtrite. You can barely squeeze 1 clown in a 10, much less 2. Also, an anenome should only be added to a tank after at least a year of establishment.

Overall, my guess is that the nitrite and nitrate got to them. Do frequent water changes and keep it perfect. Also, look into buying an api master test kit. You need it for emergencys like this to know whats goin down in your little ocean.

angelf said:

1.) Your tank is overstocked 2.) If the tank is 5 months old and you have a nitrite reading of 2.0 something is wrong. By "ammonia is good" do you mean 0 or .25? Did you stir up the sandbed and cause a mini cycle? It seems very odd that clowns and firefish are dying yet your anenome is doing well.

My clown is upside down swimming seems like he is having trouble breathing

Sounds like nitrites to me...it doesn't take much in the way of nitrite to kill fish.

As a side bar you are way, way, WAY overstocking your tank which is likely why you're seeing huge levels of nitrite. In a 10 gallon tank you should have AT MOST 5 - 7 inches of fish (some would say push it to 10, I do not subscribe to that, but I also tend to way understock my tanks)...and that's if you're using some massive filtration and doing water changes like a maniac.

angelf said:
It's official my other clown died !!! :( omg this is so sad ... I can't believe this

I am sorry, have you done a water change?? What else is in the tank? Hopefully nothing

It's official my other clown died !!! :( omg this is so sad ... I can't believe this

Sorry man, tank loss stinks. I just lost most of my fish as a result of a 5 day power outage, so I feel your pain.

bighabeeb said:
Sounds like nitrites to me...it doesn't take much in the way of nitrite to kill fish.

As a side bar you are way, way, WAY overstocking your tank which is likely why you're seeing huge levels of nitrite. In a 10 gallon tank you should have AT MOST 5 - 7 inches of fish (some would say push it to 10, I do not subscribe to that, but I also tend to way understock my tanks)...and that's if you're using some massive filtration and doing water changes like a maniac.

That is a bad method. You cant put a 7 inch yellow tang in a 10, but i get were yoir goin. ONLY nano fish belong in a 10, and i would only suggest 2 fish, both smaller than 3"

My ammonia is 0 I guess I'll just have my anemone their by itself for a while until the tank is good enough to add a clown then I guess I'll just add a pair of clowns and that is it.

Gboy66 said:
That is a bad method. You cant put a 7 inch yellow tang in a 10, but i get were yoir goin. ONLY nano fish belong in a 10, and i would only suggest 2 fish, both smaller than 3"

Totally agree, I also understand it, but this method of deciding how many fish you can have definatly has loopholes and IMO shouldn't be used as a definate decision maker as to the stocking of your tank.

angelf said:
My ammonia is 0 I guess I'll just have my anemone their by itself for a while until the tank is good enough to add a clown then I guess I'll just add a pair of clowns and that is it.

Are you reading what we have written...? 2 clowns would be overstocked. MAYBE one...MAYBE

angelf said:

NO a pair of clowns is too much for a 10 gallon. A single clown is too much IMO. You'll end up back in this same situation.

Agreed - and I've had the same argument with the dude at the LFS - but as a general guideline it gives an idea. I guess I tend to give too much credit sometimes in assuming that people will now that slapping a naso tang into a 10 gallon tank would be a bad idea ;)

In any event, I think we all agree on the basic concept which is that this tank is overstocked :)

Do yourself a favor - remove that anemone (if it dies in the tank which, it would be my guess at any rate, it will...at which point it will poison the living crap out of your tank) and then take a look at this page for fish that are appropriate for a tank of your size:
Nano Fish

You can order a couple, but not a lot, of these smaller fish.

But I don't get why they sell 10 gallons then if you can't fit any fish and how is it that they have 5 clowns in a 10 gallon at pet stores their is like 4 10 gallons full of clown why can't I just keep 2?!?

Back
Top Bottom