Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardsurfer View Post
Unfortunately, I aquascaped about a month before I added the chromis (and am not going to make changes again- I really like the way I have it now). I also put my large female in my sump/refugium for a couple of days hoping she would relax with the new fish, but that didn't do anything to help.

Also- the reason I waited so long to add new livestock is because I want to go reef, and am just waiting until I can save enough $$ for lights. I know I could have added my livestock in the meantime, but I was just fine waiting. Hindsight- I should have had more fish to begin with.
I totally understand not wanting to move the rocks lol. And I wasn't faulting you for waiting so long to add fish, this is just one of the "side affects" if you will lol. I'm thinking you are either gonna have to...

(a) remove the clowns, both if they are a mated pair

or

(b) get some fish that are semi-aggressive and of comparable size that won't take the bullying from the female clown...but that can be tricky.

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mine always makes me jump little bugger makes cleaning a challenge

Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I'm down to 1 chromis I called the LFS and they said they'd be happy to have them back as a mated pair, and I can just trade them out. I think that'll work best. I'm actually going to have them hold the 2 new clowns until I stock the tank with the other more docile fish first- then put in the two clowns, and then the yellow tang after that.

Thanks for the advice!
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah good idea special with ur yellow tang last I got a yellow tang a regal and a nasso tang they lovely fish
Old 12-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you seen the clowns actully hurt the chromis they are really bad at doing that to each other I was told to buy chromis in a group and every time I buy a bunch I end up with only one they kill eachother
Old 12-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'm hoping I don't fall into a similar situation. I have no clue the sex of my clowns. They are quite small though. I bought 2 and they have done real well. But my tank then cycled and I made additions of more LR to get my cycle going. But, I live in the middle of no where and even my LFS will need to order in my fish. They have a nice supply, but I'm not going to fill my tank with nothing but clowns and chocolate chip starfish... but my hope is that there won't be an issue because in this little, maybe 20 gal tank, they had atleast 15 clowns in it. That is my hope anyway. I added a damsel which was semi aggressive towards them, but found him dead when I came home from work (from my nitrite spike).
Old 12-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

My clowns are bullies to but i put a carpet nem in there and they are not as bad anymore have you tried putting a nem in there to hang out in
Old 12-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had almost the exact same problem happen to me. I bought the mated pair frm the lfs and they were fine for about a month and then out of nowhere the female started bullying the male. Bad. His fins were all nipped up and she wud be constantly chasing him around the tank. He even jumped out of the tank twice running from her. I felt so bad for the smaller male....he was trying to hide in every little crevice to get a break but she Wud find him and go right for him. I tried seperating them with eggcrate for about 5 days, but I ultimately had to remove the female and bring her back to the lfs. He gave me $20 bucks for her, which I thought was fair since I didn't want either of the fish to get hurt or die.

Ever since I got rid of her....all the fish mates get along perfectly! Firefish, hippo tang and clown are good friends.

Luv the clowns but ur prob gonna have to remove the b*tch.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyboy
I had almost the exact same problem happen to me. I bought the mated pair frm the lfs and they were fine for about a month and then out of nowhere the female started bullying the male. Bad. His fins were all nipped up and she wud be constantly chasing him around the tank. He even jumped out of the tank twice running from her. I felt so bad for the smaller male....he was trying to hide in every little crevice to get a break but she Wud find him and go right for him. I tried seperating them with eggcrate for about 5 days, but I ultimately had to remove the female and bring her back to the lfs. He gave me $20 bucks for her, which I thought was fair since I didn't want either of the fish to get hurt or die.

Ever since I got rid of her....all the fish mates get along perfectly! Firefish, hippo tang and clown are good friends.

Luv the clowns but ur prob gonna have to remove the b*tch.
Thats wierd bacause one was bigger then the other... Could the tank have been to small for the two of them or something?
Old 12-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspires688 View Post
Have you seen the clowns actully hurt the chromis they are really bad at doing that to each other I was told to buy chromis in a group and every time I buy a bunch I end up with only one they kill eachother
You know, I haven't actually SEEN the clownfish pick at their fins, but she is constantly chasing them around (well, just 1 chromis now- all others are dead). I never thought that the chromis' might be doing it to each other. I didn't see them pursuing each other like the female clown has been doing.

I did buy all of the chromis together, too.

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bully, bullying, clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com